Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 V8 4.2L Touareg that has recently been giving me problems. I had a full tank of premium gas from Shell station. The next day the car was starting to cut out and it all of a sudden died out. I started it back up and drove a few hundred yards then it did the same thing.

We limped it home to switch vehicles that day. So the following day I wanted to drive it to work to duplicate the problem, and ironically it didn't die out. After driving it for the weekend the gas was about 1/4 full and now it will die after 30 seconds or so of idling. I heard it could be fuel pump related with how these setups are.

Does this video show what it might be? Their is no check engine light on either.

·
Registered
561 Posts
yup, looks like the same. To verify it is the pump, in engine bay fuse panel, take out to 404 relay (there is a 404 label on it) and run the car. If it doesnt die, that is definetly the pump. Above thread is a very long and useful one if you are a DIY person.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup, looks like the same. To verify it is the pump, in engine bay fuse panel, take out to 404 relay (there is a 404 label on it) and run the car. If it doesnt die, that is definetly the pump. Above thread is a very long and useful one if you are a DIY person.
Thanks, I will give this a try.

I really don't want to spend more then $1500 for everything as the car is valued around $6k. If it gets quoted past that amount at the dealership, then I thinks it's time for a newer vehicle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Curious as to what happened with this car. I have the same issue, AFTER pumps replaced. With bad pumps, mine would not make it 50 feet without dying. Had to limp it to the shop. Now, AFTER pumps replaced, I clearly have an ongoing issue with it dying only on very low fuel. Above 1/4, no issues. Speculation in other thread about evap leaks. If OP found the answer, that would be helpful and relevant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts