Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I recently bought a 2004 Touareg, and the manual for it is possibly for another vehicle, it's a tip-tronic automatic and has a mysterious switch to the right of the selector, I say mysterious because the label is missing (I can see the bulb) and it appears to have no effect.

Does anyone know what it does?!?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm I guess it could be one of 32, I'd hazard it could be "speed restriction" for offroad

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ya #32 is a 12v socket where the rechargeable flashlight goes.

Euro touaregs have a key slot at the front of the console to turn the passenger airbag off. US cars got a sensor in the seat. That's why the USA cars are beeping and alerting in the cluster when the sensor turns the airbag off, it's designed to alert you the key switch is off.

-J

·
Registered
32 Posts
That switch looks like a previous owner fitted it. It has even caused the panel to crack and split form the stress concentrations in the corners of the cutout. It could be for anything. Does the car have driving lights fitted or any other non standard electrical items?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Standard after market rocker switch. Used to activate mainly spot lights. If it illuminates then you will still have power to it.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Euro touaregs have a key slot at the front of the console to turn the passenger airbag off.
That's why the USA cars are beeping and alerting in the cluster when the sensor turns the airbag off, it's designed to alert you the key switch is off.

-J
The layout (i.e. the key slot location) depends on year of manufacture/trim package (either inside the glovebox or on the central tunnel).
Euro Tregs equipped with that telltale lamp :-Q

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Euro Tregs equipped with that telltale lamp :-Q
USA trucks have those too. I took mine apart and put some dark tint over the LEDs because I was sick of looking at the bright orange PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF light while driving at night.

Also, when I'm a passenger on long trips I like to pull the seatbelt tight and make it latch so I can rest my arms against it. For whatever reason this confuses the sensor in the seat and makes the cluster BEEEP, display PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF at full brightness, and the light on the dashboard flash :rolleyes:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here's a picture I found from Vortex:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No extra electrics that I've seen and it doesn't illuminate, must have been attached to something that was removed! Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 VR6 Exec
330 Posts
Also, when I'm a passenger on long trips I like to pull the seatbelt tight and make it latch so I can rest my arms against it. For whatever reason this confuses the sensor in the seat and makes the cluster BEEEP, display PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF at full brightness, and the light on the dashboard flash :rolleyes:
Just a guess, but from your description it sounds like that could be because the seat belt locking like that is designed for infant car seat usage. Can't have the air bag go off into a car seat. :surprise:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts