Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious why my Touareg has 4 bulbs (2 each side) but only the outer bulb light up on low and high. The inner light comes on when the Hi/Lo lever is pulled back. The inner light is also a different color.

Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you have them equipped, the outer bulbs are the bi-xenons. The inner lights are high beam halogens in a projector housing.

The bi-xenons have a cutoff that is controlled by a mechanical curtain mechanism. That's why when you park close to the wall, it appears that the lights "cut off".

When you flip on the high beams, the cut off moves down, allowing the full spectrum of light to come from the bulbs.

The "flash to pass" feature is for the halogens only. They did that because it would wear out the mechanical curtains if you quickly flashed over and over again.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
The outer bulbs appear to be a different color because bi-xenons are HID's, and have a different color temperature than standard halogens.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The "flash to pass" feature is for the halogens only. They did that because it would wear out the mechanical curtains if you quickly flashed over and over again.

It's not the shutter that's the issue, it's because xenons take time to warm up and the bulbs do not like being used briefly or, worse still as you mention when someone has a bit of road rage, being flashed on and off repeatedly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts