Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 V10 TDI SE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted on here but I do still use the forum for reference.

Driving back 'down south' on a very rainy December 22nd, my passenger side (car is RH drive) wiper stopped sweeping the screen. I still had the driver's side working so I continued the journey (only had around 40 miles to go). A couple of days later I investigated the problem and found the tapered 'bush' that fits in the wiper arm (drive spindle rather than the idler spindle) underneath the nut has begun to slip within the arm. I.e. the spindle and bush move when the wipers are switched on but the arm doesn't.

How is this bush supposed to 'grip' the wiper arm? Is it pressed into the arm on manufacture as an interference fit (rendering the arm useless/irrepairable if it comes out)? Or is the nut meant to be torqued down on to the bush where the tiny splines engage with the corresponding splines within the wiper arm housing?

I ordered a replacement arm (2nd hand) from an ebay seller which arrived with the bush, but on fitting the replacement arm the bush popped out as I pushed it onto the spindle (I was trying to do it gently and wasn't applying much force).

If the bush is meant to be permanently fitted into the wiper arm, that's fine. I'll have to bite the bullet and purchase a brand new item from the dealer. However I can't believe the design is so poor that the bush is prone to failure in this way.

Am I missing something? If the bush comes out of the arm, does it render the arm U/S?

Any help/advice would be very gratefuly received!

·
Registered
2007 V10 TDI SE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for your reply. I sort-of thought that might be the case but as the nut tightens, the bush bottoms out on the 4-sided length of the spindle allowing me to torque the nut but there's nothing underneath the arm itself to support it so the bush can't ever sit in the hole tightly.

So although the bush is held tight on the spindle, you can push the wiper arm downwards off the bush with very little force (i.e. one finger).

Should there be something like a washer on the spindle underneath the wiper arm to support it and allow the nut to push the bush downwards into the splined hole in the arm? (Hope this makes sense...)

As I mentioned, this gave up with little apparent reason other than several years of use. I can't really figure out why!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Someone recently posted, either on here or on the UK site www.mytreg.com an exploded diagram of which bits go where when fitting a wiper arm.

·
Registered
2007 V10 TDI SE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Nooby. I've just had a quick look (as you suggested) at the exploded diagram and it's confirmed that nothing seems to be missing (I was thinking it's not inconceivable that there was a washer beneath the arm that had worn through and fallen off).

I've ordered another wiper arm puller (sealy one broke) and when it arrives I will take it apart again and see how the wiper arm fits without the coned bush.

Thanks again for your replies.

·
Registered
2007 V10 TDI SE
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, got my new arm removal tool and have removed the arm and coned bush again.

It appears that the cone is not intended to be an interference fit (pressed into the arm at manufacture) as it is the means of setting and adjusting the wiper arm park position.

My wiper arm just falls downwards on the spindle though and is not supported to allow the cone/bush to be torqued down into it...

This is making me think there was something that sat beneath the arm to support it on the spindle. It's possible this could have worn through over the 176k miles the car has done???

Has anyone any experience in removal/refit of the T1 wipers?

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
986 Posts
There is an insert that is six sided that was worn out on on of my 04 TDI's. I just bought two new wiper arms as they weren't that expensive and are an upgraded part that has a much stronger spring that makes better contact with the windshield.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.