Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

I have decided to replace the shocks / struts all the way around on my T1 Touareg (going with replacement OEM to restore the factory ride quality). We made it 167K miles on the originals and figured it was time for new one.

Does anyone know where I could find a write up for both the front and rear shocks/struts?

Just checking to see if there is anything that I should be ready for (VW always likes to through a couple of surprises at you IE "triple square" and what not).

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
178 Posts
Good morning everyone,
Does anyone know where I could find a write up for both the front and rear shocks/struts?

Just checking to see if there is anything that I should be ready for (VW always likes to through a couple of surprises at you IE "triple square" and what not).

Thanks, Dave
Yea I know what you mean, I don't think you really need any write up. I took out my front air spring/shocks/struts to replace orings, bump stops etc without any previous experience. Pretty straight forward. There were no specials tools, sockets required. I got everything in my local home depot/lowes stores.

You are going to need a 21mm socket and wrench, 18mm socket and wrench, 16mm socket and a 13mm socket( for the 4 bolts that hold the strut to the upper mount)
If you are going to replace the upper control arms, then you'll need 2 16mmm wrench for the bolts that holds the arms to the upper mount.
The 21mm socket should take off the lower control arms and tie rods ball joints.

There are youtube videos on replacement on the q7 and Touareg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both very much. I figured that it should be fairly straight forward, but I have run in to issues in the past on projects where either a bolt is in a very hard to access area or I don't have some special VW specific tool and I thought I would throw it out there before beginning.

I will watch some vidz & get it done!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts