Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I contacted the manufacturer of the cd's for our nav system. They are currently updating them with A LOT more information. Such as POI's
and they will have street names etc of which are now unavailable on secondary roads. The salesguy said it will be MUCH better. So here is what you need to know.

1. You can order the update DIRECTLY from the company you dont have to buy it through your VW dealer and pay the markup
2 The cost for our updates will around 150.00.
3. The updates will not come on the new T-regs until 2005 (that way no 2004 owners cant get mad their model didnt have the update

If you want the name of the company, email me or post it here and i will supply it for you. with a contact name

Dont bug them !! The update wont be ready to order until June 2004.

[email protected] 2, Reflex Silver V8's loaded

· Registered
27 Posts
Please do post the contact info for all of us. I'm assuming that it is with NAVTECH.

I'm ready for the update whenever they get ready to ship.

Standing by with Credit card at the ready.....!

· Registered
20 Posts
i contactded nav tech directly and they told me 250. i will still pay it i use my nav all the time and hasnt failed me yet. excellent upgrade if you got it. tell us who you talked too, i could use the money for more micro brew

· Registered
18 Posts
Hey all, I just got off the phone with the comapny that makes the Navs and the sales guys said the next update to our treg's is only going to have new map data. It will not have street naming or anything else for that matter. He said the system is made by Bosch and it would require a new patch or new system. so any other news or anything else that people hear different please let us know. Oh yeh and he said it won't be available til June/July.

· Registered
4 Posts
I called the Navtech Office

I called the Navtech offices and they said the lack of street names, etc. was NOT their fault. They blamed it on the "firmware" VW uses in this Bosch GPS navigation system. They say the DO have all the street names but VW has chosen not to display them in its systems. I HATE MY NAVIGATION SYSTEM!!!! It is a complete waste of $2300. My little hand-held garmin has more info displaying on it! The lack of any road names, geographic landmarks, even rivers is pathetic! Many times I find myself looking at an arrow floating out in an empty screen! And get this, it is a 5 disc set and the system does not even TELL YOU that you need to insert another CD. It just drops out whatever detail it has and goes to the base map. MY ADVICE? - DO NOT BUY THIS OPTION!!!

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Re: I called the Navtech Office

barneytoones said:
I called the Navtech offices and they said the lack of street names, etc. was NOT their fault. They blamed it on the "firmware" VW uses in this Bosch GPS navigation system. They say the DO have all the street names but VW has chosen not to display them in its systems. I HATE MY NAVIGATION SYSTEM!!!! It is a complete waste of $2300. My little hand-held garmin has more info displaying on it! The lack of any road names, geographic landmarks, even rivers is pathetic! Many times I find myself looking at an arrow floating out in an empty screen! And get this, it is a 5 disc set and the system does not even TELL YOU that you need to insert another CD. It just drops out whatever detail it has and goes to the base map. MY ADVICE? - DO NOT BUY THIS OPTION!!!
Do you really have the system? It is more than a 5 disc set.

I will agree that the Garmin iQue3600 that my wife has does have more detail than the VW system. Lots more options and screens too. But she doesn't use it very much. It isn't always ready like the built-in system and it doesn't look as nice as the built-in system. Also if you drive outside of the maps you have loaded on your Garmin, you can't just change CDs on the fly. Each system has its strong point and weak points. Is the VW system the best one out there? Clearly no.

As for floating on an empty screen, that is a Navtech issue. I have the same problem when I go to VT. They just haven't detailed all the roads yet at the time these discs were issued. I have given Navtech driver feedback and they have responded that the VT roads will be on the next issue of discs. You need to do the same for the rural roads in Iowa.

· Registered
4 Posts
Believe me, the nav system in the vw sucks

YES, I DO have the system, when writing the review I didn't go out to get my pouch to actually count the CDs. As for the rural roads of Iowa not displaying, how about the metro roads of Chicaco where I was last week. NONE have road names except the major tollways and interstates. There are minor , acceptable flaws in some gps-nav systems...and then there are MAJOR unacceptable flaws in systems and BELIEVE ME... the VW system has MAJOR flaws that make it an absolute WASTE OF MONEY. I will repeat it... I called NavTech, they said ALL the road names were on the CDs and that VW / Bosch has decided to NOT display them via its firmware on the system. Period. No mention of updates with better info, nothing. Only passed me back to VW. I have used GPS systems on boats and cars, handheld to largescreen displays....this one sucks!

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Correct, only state and interstate highways have their numbers displayed on the map. And yes, the road names are in the data and VW/Bosch chose not to include this data on the map itself. But the system is capable of navigating you to a destination, so I still don't see how this is such a major flaw.

Question is how to hack it back onto the map. But before this becomes a permanent change on this system, I would like to see what it would look like. Not sure whether there is enough resolution on the screen for lots of names to be displayed. Sure do wish it was a choice we could make like on the Garmin.

You shouldn't have many MISSING roads in Chicago but anything you do find should be reported to Navtech or they will never get on the map.

Absolute waste of money, not in my mind. Overpriced, compared to other built-in factory systems, probably.

Didn't you ask for a demonstration before you bought the car with nav?

· Registered
4 Posts
Navigating By The Stars

Navigating has always been a matter of your positional relationship to fixed objects. Like stars or a satelite. When you view a map of major road names ONLY when driving, you have nothing to compare your position to your destination or intended route...like intersecting streets, streams and rivers, POIs, etc. The entire usefulness of a navigation system DEPENDS on the information it provides the driver to keep on route. It only stands to reason, less info, less you know about where you are. For $2300 you should be buying a system that practically tells you there is a bump in the road ahead! And YES I AM AN IDIOT! I drove the only V8 model they had on the lot and it did not have the navigation. When I picked up my ordered Touareg I was so happy it was finally in that the last thing I could have recognized is that the nav system sucked. Who would have thought that VW would have the engineering savvy to create a wonderful vehicle with such a horrible nav system!!!! I also agree - now, how do we hack this thing to make it work for us. It is sure that VW will not do a retroactive firmware fix. OR WILL YOU VW!!!!!!!!?????

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Re: Navigating By The Stars

barneytoones said:
Navigating has always been a matter of your positional relationship to fixed objects. Like stars or a satelite. When you view a map of major road names ONLY when driving, you have nothing to compare your position to your destination or intended route...like intersecting streets, streams and rivers, POIs, etc. The entire usefulness of a navigation system DEPENDS on the information it provides the driver to keep on route........................................ It is sure that VW will not do a retroactive firmware fix. OR WILL YOU VW!!!!!!!!?????
If you put in a destination, the navigation will route you there and you won't have to study the map to see if you are supposed to be crossing a river or going by main street. I do agree that on the Garmin unit it is nice to see the names of every upcoming street as you navigate but it isn't really necessary. Maybe VW wants you to concentrate on your driving rather than studying a map.

As for your last statement, I very much doubt that VW will be answering here or that they even monitor any forums like this (although I think they would be wise to do so). Better than ranting here would be to send mail/email and phone calls to VW bosses and VW customer care. Even then, this is probably a decision that was made in Germany and the translation will take some time to get all the way up the chain.

I can tell you though that the nav system has been discussed here and elsewhere alot over the last 9 months. A little research on a dicsussion forum would have helped you avoid what you consider a big mistake.

· Registered
55 Posts
Partially due to this and other forums, I ordered my TReg without the NAV. Normally, I'm an early adopter but in the case of NAV, I rarely travel alone and find it pretty useful/handy to just print out directions from MapQuest.

The idea of having a system that MAY NOT have a road that I need to get to a destination and not having printed directions as a backup, soured me on the TReg NAV. Additionally, in my experience with earlier generation GPS systems in my local area I found that they wanted me to take roads that I knew were not ideal.

Currently, I'm considering a Garmin iQue when my TReg comes in and I need to take my first long distance trip.

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Just visited the NYC Autoshow 2 weeks ago. No problem navigating from CT to the Javitts center. But if you are going to a residential road in Vermont, you will need a paper map from the point you leave the VT state road until you arrive at your destination. Navtech tells me that in June they will have new discs with all the VT roads on them so I won't need paper after that. But get yourself an iQue and you will fall in love with electronic navigation.

· Registered
55 Posts
spockcat said:
Just visited the NYC Autoshow 2 weeks ago. No problem navigating from CT to the Javitts center. But if you are going to a residential road in Vermont, you will need a paper map from the point you leave the VT state road until you arrive at your destination. Navtech tells me that in June they will have new discs with all the VT roads on them so I won't need paper after that. But get yourself an iQue and you will fall in love with electronic navigation.
Thanks Spockcat....the only potential problem I have with the iQue is I will no longer have a way to test how strong my marriage is......:mrgreen:

If you've ever been in a car with a Type A driving and a Type A navigating....you know what I mean....it can be quite an experience.

· Registered
5 Posts
So far, I am happy with my nav system, it's not the best I have seen but it's not terrible either. I live just outside Wilmington, DE and have not had any problems at all with roads not being shown, and Wilmington, DE is much smaller than Chicago. I agree, it would be nice to have road names when I zoom in, but if I plug in the address where I am going it really isn't necessary?

· Registered
7 Posts
I actually have learned to like -- and even appreciate -- the Nav system. If you absolutely need to know a street name you can hit the cross-hairs button, and when the cross-hairs are on the street in question, the Nav system will display the street name. And, of course, the street you're on shows in the MF display. I agree though, it would be even better with more detail on the map. Anybody have any real news on this as an update?

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Miles said:
If you absolutely need to know a street name you can hit the cross-hairs button, and when the cross-hairs are on the street in question, the Nav system will display the street name.
Really? That's a Treg secret I didn't know about, and never noticed. Cool!

· Registered
124 Posts
Nav. what?

At least you all are lucky, In my quest to find a TDI I have tested several Touaregs with Nav. In all cases the dealers could not produce the Nav. cd or the sales people had no idea how to use it. Great sales Job. VW needs to grow up and start to act like the compition that they are compeating against.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.