Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driver seat only moves forward, no matter if pushing the seat forward or backward.
Broken switch?
If so: any DIY instructions how to replace the switch (and maybe part number)?

Only way for me to get seat back is by pushing a memory button (luckily, programmed position is quite far back).

·
Registered
614 Posts
The switch assembly is only sold as a whole. Part number is 7L6 959 765 / 766, cost around $150-300 new, depending on where you source it from. However, until you actually electrically test the switch with like a multimeter, you can't know whether it's really the switch that's faulty, or the motor, or the control module. Or maybe just some of the wiring broke.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If his seat moves back using the recall memory setting, clearly the motor isn't the issue.... also, since it moves forward, same theory......
I would suspect the switch or a broken connection before jumping to any more conclusions....

Totally agree on some diagnostics first

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If his seat moves back using the recall memory setting, clearly the motor isn't the issue.... also, since it moves forward, same theory......
I would suspect the switch or a broken connection before jumping to any more conclusions....

Totally agree on some diagnostics first
Checked the part, its not pennies (so no 'lets get it and swap it in real quick').

Definitely going to check what is causing it.

Nevertheless, strange symptoms. NOT moving at all backwards is one thing, but moving FORWARD when pushed backwards?
I assume those switches are NOT directly powering the motor, rather sending a signal to a load relay (here: reversing polarity).

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Are you saying that you checked the switch?
Having an operational switch (and checking it as functioning) is totally different than having a partially operating switch or one that causes the seat to move in the reverse direction.

Maybe some clown was in there before you and cross wired things, or maybe you have some shorting wires, etc..... could be all sorts of things.

What and how did you actually "check"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you saying that you checked the switch?
Having an operational switch (and checking it as functioning) is totally different than having a partially operating switch or one that causes the seat to move in the reverse direction.

Maybe some clown was in there before you and cross wired things, or maybe you have some shorting wires, etc..... could be all sorts of things.

What and how did you actually "check"
Only checked prices. No troubleshooting or electrical checking done yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing changed, but seat working fine again.
Strange fluke (if it was one, or an indication that something is not right and can expect to have problems down the road).
Note: maybe unrelated, but found water under the driver's side carpet. Maybe it messed with the power seat wires?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts