Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , the other night the car was driving fine but I noticed it was running lumpy on idle. It felt like it might be a coil problem. Next day I went to start it to check and it refuses to start. I’ve checked for a spark and it’s good but the plug was dry, so I’ve done a flow check on both fuel pumps by shorting the relays band both side delivered 800ml in 15 seconds.
any ideas why the fuel is not reaching the cylinders?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve only a generic code reader and the only thing listed was a camshaft sensor fault .
I checked the fuel flow at the pipe on the bulkhead before it heads down to the injectors.
Tonight I went to try it again and as I opened the drivers door I could hear the pump priming the system, so I tried to start it . It ran for about 5 seconds then died again . It will turn over but it’s not firing.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
No idea what you are saying. Don't you have an FSI? If so, you have a HPFP that needs to send fuel to your injectors.
Are all the cylinders dry or just one? When a coil fails, the ECU shuts down injection for that cylinder..... too many unknowns. Do some clear troubleshooting with proper tools if you want help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard .
learn English and no not everyone has a full workshop of tools

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Perhaps.... but you shouldn't post in a "technical" section when you can't even provide basic details....... you should also not try to be a mechanic if you don't have tools.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I had provided basic details !
So let me get this right , before posting I should have all the answers and all the tools for the job and be a general know it all ,if so why bother asking any questions?
I do have one more question Do you still live in your mothers basement ?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I do have one more question Do you still live in your mothers basement ?
Negative..... I've always lived on the main floor, with both my parents. We basically use the basement for storage and to make wine more or less.....

Now onto your [email protected]$$ "basic details".
When you want help, provide as many details as possible, not just the absolute minimum. You already don't have a clue about what you're up against, so giving those who are trying to help you no information is a retarded approach.
I asked you a few critical questions, and you've failed to answer and barely provided any information.

You are in a different market, so just telling me your engine size doesn't mean anything really. I was making the assumption that you had an FSI motor which is what you'd have on this side of the pond.... but you don't. I even asked you if it's FSI. You have a tractor style old VR with port injection..... thus you don't have a HPFP and you only have the two in-tank pumps.......

It's not a bulkhead.... it's a fuel rail... learn English and use proper terms if you are trying to be a mechanic.....

I asked you to clarify if you checked more than one cylinder? If it was an FSI motor like I had assumed, the ECU would shut down the injector on up to two cylinders if the coil would fail..... on your POS, it won't...... If it's a single cylinder that's dry, you could have a faulty injector.... if it's one bank, a faulty FPR, etc..... if it's all cylinders, your ECU doesn't know when to fire them because you lost your CAM SENSOR (which you just randomly mentioned).......

Guess what? The ECU probably reads the cam sensor to determine when to fire the injectors! If it can't read it, how would it know when to inject fuel?

You see why details are very important you window-licker?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sir Your arrogance knows no bounds !
The reason I didn’t answer you with more details was because It was obvious from your first comment that your are a total know all dick head .
Ps I am English it’s our language and over here we car the area behind the engine a bulkhead

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I didn't realize that when you were asking for help, you only wanted people without any knowledge like yourself to respond..... next time specify (see above regarding details.... very important)

So let's recap since you're a mouth breather and don't get how crucial details are (I'm only doing this to help others with similar problems. Your local hood is probably safer with you not driving around since you can barely communicate properly)

• You have an "old school" VR engine with sequential injection (we could've known this if you provided an engine code or answered me about the FSI assumptions)
  • You had pre-existing CELs and faults (see your mention about cam sensor) and who knows how many or for how long.
  • You did not specify if all cylinders are dry or only one that you checked
As such, we can deduct the following:

Because you had already lost at least one, if not both your cam sensors (who knows how long ago) and were more than likely driving around with a CEL, you were already running on reduced power (or maybe even limp mode) due to the fact that.......

The Motronic Engine Control Module J220
uses signals from both Camshaft Position
(CMP) Sensor G40 and Camshaft Position
(CMP) Sensor 2 G163 as feedback
signals to verify the operation of the
variable timing.
When a fault is detected in the system, the
Motronic Engine Control Module J220 will
place both solenoids in the rest position
and inform the driver using the Malfunction
Indicator Lamp (MIL) K83.
Furthermore.....

Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor
G40 and Camshaft Position (CMP)
Sensor 2 G163
Both sensors work using the Hall Principle
and are located in the upper timing cover.
They take their readings from the two
reluctors which rotate together with the
camshafts.
Signal Application
The Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor G40
signal is used by the Motronic Engine
Control Module J220 together with the
signal from the Engine Speed (RPM)
Sensor G28 to synchronize the injection.
At the same time, a comparison between
the signals from Camshaft Position (CMP)
Sensor G40, Camshaft Position (CMP)
Sensor 2 G163, and Engine Speed (RPM)
Sensor G28 is used to monitor operation
and adjust the variable timing.
Replacement Function
If the signal from the Camshaft Position
(CMP) Sensor G40 is missing, the signal
from Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor 2
G163 will be used as a reference value for
injection synchronization.
If both signals should fail while the engine
is running, the engine will continue to run
and can be re-started. The Motronic Engine
Control Module J220 uses a function called
“start-up recognition” for this purpose.
When the fault occurs, the Motronic Engine
Control Module J220 will set fuel injection
and ignition timing based on the Engine
Speed (RPM) Sensor G28 signal. Ignition
timing will be retarded 15 degrees as a
safety precaution.
If either Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor
G40 or Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor 2
G163 fails, the Motronic Engine Control
Module J220 will deactivate the variable
valve timing function. Both camshafts will
be set to their initial start-up positions.
A failure of either sensor will activate the
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) K83 the
second time the vehicle is started after the
fault occurs.
And lastly, based on historic evidence, the coils have a high failure rate.... this is more than likely what happened here, and it compounded the already existing problem(s) which were being ignored due to the fact that.....

Ignition Coils 1 – 6
with Power Output Stages
(N70, N127, N291, N292, N323,
and N324)
The ignition system comprises six ignition
coils with a “coil on plug” configuration.
This eliminates the need for spark
plug cables.
Energizing
Each ignition coil gets positive voltage from
ignition terminal 15 and is grounded for
operation. The Motronic Engine Control
Module J220 sends a signal to energize the
ignition coil. The break in this signal
generates the spark.
Replacement Function
If any of the ignition coils are faulty,
the corresponding cylinder will not be