Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

Here's the story...

I have a 2004 3.2L V6 Touareg that I recently took on our first mountain adventure in deep snow and I put it in LOW with the center diff locked.
Everything went fine until I was back on paved roads and returned the drive train nob back to high (always changing the settings while the transmission was set in neutral).

Once I tried to drive in HIGH the car will not move. When you hit the gas there is an audible grinding sound. I stuck my head under the Treg, with it in HIGH & drive (with the parking break on), and I can see the front drive shaft spinning and it is making the grinding sound.

If I return the car to low it will take off, but again if I give it gas too heavily it will make the grinding sound and feel like it has a lag in the power between gas applied & the car moving at the correct rate of speed.

If I lock the center diff in LOW there is NO grinding sound and the Treg drives in LOW feeling full power as it should.

Does anyone know what would cause, what appears to be, the front drive shaft slipping & causing the grinding sound?

I am thinking some sort of drive shaft yoke or possibly a motor that engages the transfer case.

I read several threads about the Treg being stuck in LOW due to a low battery. So I charged the battery and it did not fix it. However, as those threads stated sometimes when changing the Treg from HIGH to LOW & finally to center diff LOCKED the lights on the dial will blink for a few seconds before it appears to be engaged correctly.

Thank you very much for all of your help & have a great day!
Dave

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Sounds stupid, but try it in reverse. Something may be hanging up due to lack of use.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds stupid, but try it in reverse. Something may be hanging up due to lack of use.

Hi Yeti,
Not stupid at all, but I definitely tried every which way to get it to engage into HIGH and drive.

One thing that I will ad to the long story about...is that about a month ago I went to back the Treg up in reverse & it made the same grinding noise when I hit the gas. It was the same symptoms that I am experiencing now. The more gas the faster the grinding sound.

I ended up pushing the Treg back and forth a couple times and then it engaged. Obviously, I have tried this method many times now, but no improvement.

Does anyone have an idea of what could cause this "slipping/grinding"?

Thanks again, Dave

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
I'm outta ideas aside from getting it on a lift at this point.

Reactions: Davethewave1

·
Registered
89 Posts
sounds like you broke a drive shaft somewhere and because the diffs are open in high no drive

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know if the T1 Touaregs have compatible drive train parts between the V6 & V8 models?

I am trying to figure out if I need either a new drive shaft or front differential do I need to find used parts from ONLY a V6 model or can I expand my used part search for also V8 models?

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
grab each cv joint and try moving or spinning or better way to tell is hand brake on and leave it in drive, dont do this if your handbrake is not strong... the broken end will keep spinning with hand brake on. Im using a 4.2lt audi q7 cv joints on 7l touareg so yeah you have few different cars you can source parts from

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good morning,

I just wanted to report that I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!

For anyone that experiences that same hassle here is what fixed it...

As Yeti said, I tried rocking the Treg back and forth. Driving forwards and backwards. Changing from High to Low to Locke Center Diff. I did this procedure in every conceivable way, but nothing worked to get the Treg back in normal High Drive mode.

My buddy and I got the car on a lift to inspect the front differential / drive shaft / transfer case.

What we did that finally fixed the problem is we put the Treg in neutral and spun both of the front wheels (one at a time) both forward and reverse. We were examining what would happen with the drive train trying to figure out what was broken. After we spun the wheels everything seemed fine and when I put the car in drive it was back to normal.

The process of rocking / driving the car back and forth did not fix it, but by manually spinning the wheels in neutral off the ground everything returned to good working order.

Thank you all for you help and happy VW ing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts