Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm at my friends house cos my
Treg had it's first mayor failure since i bought it. After refueling the engine began to stall it turns over fine but it feels like it chokes after a few seconds to a minute n then It stalls, I'm just begging that the fuel pump us not gone cos I really can't afford mayor repairs right now. 119k on it fresh tune up done in October. I'm seeing no check engine light on the dashboard. I was truly worries the starter might fail since I had to turn it on so many times to make it. Any of u guys have had any experience with anything happening like that? And if u have what was the problem and solution? Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
at this time I'm still in my friends house, i had been unable to get any mechanic, Sunday in NJ it is hard and a holyday tomorrow. i will post the problem when i get the mechanic since i know one by my house in NJ i will have to get the vehicle towed there. I'm hoping for it to be just water in the tank and not the fuel pump or anything more serious. As i mentioned before I had a tune up done in October everything is new including coils. And i still have no check engine light on the dash despite that i have started it quite a few times.

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
sounds like bad gas to me.
If that is the case the car would stall within 1/2 a mile from fueling up.
Are all the coils fitted on there right?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I hope that is what it is I'm waiting on the tow truck to go to a 24h mechanic around my block I will confirm there what ever there is

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wish I knew earlier, I was up in NYC for the weekend and might have offered a helping hand.

Anyway, have your mechanic pressure test the fuel system. The fuel rail nipple is in the right front corner (drivers side) of the engine - comes with a little valve cap. Make sure he checks both pre and post start pressure. I hope it's just bad gas but, based on your description, it does sound like a bad fuel pump. Remember, there are two pumps. The aux pump (passenger side rear) which supplies gas at pre/start-up and the main pump (drivers side rear) which supplies gas post start-up. A failed or failing main pump will cause the engine to stall/die after about 30 - 45 seconds.

Unfortunately, a bad pump will not throw any cel/code directly associated with it, could show up as a cam sensor, emission, etc., fault.

At 100k + could be a LOT of other things but like yourself, I ran into the same exact issue when I was around that many miles. Keep us posted and good luck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It takes less than that to go off like 10 seconds but sometimes it lasts longer much longer, but inevitably it stalls. Sometimes it almost stalls and jumps up on the revs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SOLVED

The issue: bad gas, serious water contamination.

Mechanic cleaned the tank and cylinders n made an oil change. Cost $325 welcome to NYC. Now I'm going to fight with the gas-station to get reimbursed for their poor maintenance and QC on their tanks. Hopefully I can get all my money back

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE

The problem is there again I filled up the tank and it did it again, I'm at the mechanic again and he said he did test the fuel pump so I don't know what can it be

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After complaining to my mechanic about the same problem n thinking it being fuel pump problem ( which I didn't have with the fuel he put in the tank when he handed the treg back to me) he checked the fuel pump after determining It was working properly, he opened the fuel line and took a sample, fuel was almost as clear as water n proceeded to tell me it was the same as the previous time. I filled in a different gas station n the same problem the mechanic even smelled the fuel and said it was very thin. WARNING to anyone living in the NY-NJ area avoid filling up in Fort Lee. FML

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Left fuel pump is blown this time, mechanic just called me to tell me that he tested the pumps again and the left one is completely dead. Now i need to get a new left pump assembly (hopefully just that).

·
Registered
150 Posts
sorry to hear about the fuel pump. there are a few threads on how to replace them...not that difficult, just be careful because youi are working with gasoline. make sure you work in a well ventilated area and have a fire safety device nearby. good luck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It will be truely imposible to do in this weather it has to be done in a profecional shop it is 25F degrees (at 2pm) out there n the forecast is not good at all I'm screwed on that one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Left 7L6 919 087 F - 2004 Touareg Gas
Right 7L6 919 087 G

Left 7L6 919 087 F - 2005 Touareg Gas
Right 7L6 919 087G

Left 7L8 919 087 F - 2006 Touareg Gas
Right 7L8 919 087 G
Right 7L8 919 087 B - FSI Only

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My mechanic swapped the pumps so now the secondary is running as main with a wire. Temporary done to avoid using a tow truck and so i font end up damaging the starter or ignition cos i cannot repair it, not at least with the prices for the pump + the labor around here. $975 for Pump ass. + Filter ass. + labor. I'm looking to find the parts for cheap, i cannot find yet. but hopefully soon. If anyone can help find a scrap yard/used parts seller that has it would be appreciated rarod58 had been helping but no luck finding the part. :(, very down on my $$ that is why I'm going for the cheap instead of the cheapest new OEM part. Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any one knows what part fits the fuel filter ( the inner one inside the flange) I need to find that part can anyone help thigh that?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Work done to solve the problem:

Replaced left side fuel pump n filter flange (could not find the inner element).

I noticed an increased fuel economy most significantly in the highway I got a very respectable 20.7 mpg hwy driving btwn 65 n 80 mph. Long trip at night ( prefer that time less cops and traffic jams) 260 miles one way. I did the same trip a few Montserrat after I bought the treg and got a best of 17.6 mpg I did have the wind against me. To finalize I'm happy I just hoped that the parts where easier to find at reasonable prices, which they are if u know where to buy.

Fuel pump left $219 + shipping new from a dealer

Fuel flange $94 + shipping new from porsche dealer, the one for the Tuareg boing the same thing cost $180 incredible

1 - 20 of 32 Posts