Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Touareg turned 200,000 miles today. Not much to report. The main thing I want some feedback on is the transmission.

The 5 --> 6 upshift seems to have RPM flare, meaning the engine speed bumps around 50 RPM higher than it seems like it should, before the shift is completed. The flare is audible and can be seen in the tachometer. The flare is present with light throttle upshift and seems more pronounced with heavy throttle, on the 5 --> 6 upshift.

The transmission also sometimes does not downshift from 8th gear, when decelerating without using brakes. For example when decelerating over a long distance on the freeway/motorway, with the intent of exiting the ramp. When I get to the bottom of the ramp without having used my brakes, coming from 60 mph down to zero, the transmission sometimes remains in 8th gear and the engine lugs, exactly the same as if it was a traditional manual transmission. To correct this, the shift lever is moved into N, then back into D and the transmission selects first gear.

Are these symptoms due to aging transmission fluid?

·
Learner
4,847 Posts
I would reset transmission and change the fluids for sure before contemplating on other reasons. run a vcds scan?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats Chassis! Mine is 150k just last week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts