Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
I have scoured and searched the forum, but cannot find any specific Australian feedback regarding 275/45/20 tyre choices and costs.

What has been the experience around the forum as to the choices of 20" Tyres that have been made.

Looking forward to hearing your stories.

·
Registered
177 Posts
20" tyres

Depends on what you want them for.

Cooper Zeon LTZ's on Audi Q7 rims. I tow a (large) boat and want to be able to get off road a bit. I carry a Q7 spare on the boat or in the boot. the VW 21" rims are expensive and rare. 21" tyres hard to get in the country if they get damaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
On my current car I have the original Goodyears, nice quiet tyre, can't comment on tyre life as I purchased the car at 11,000kms, they still looked pretty fresh, I suspect the car wasn't driven much in 2 years to rack up 11k.

anyway, previous experience with my Q7 (Bigger and heavier car) was It had Cooper Zeon LTZ's on it when I bought it, they had done about 30,000km and were looking a bit down, but not worn out, they were however very noisy ( could have been wheel alignment problem previously). They were however quite good off road for a 20 inch tyre. They did get to the stage where they lost most of their grip in the wet and also didnt seem to be wearing out any more....

I replaced them with Nexen Ru5 tyres on recommendation from a tyre dealer. I was hesitant at first as I have always gone with the Michelin/Pirelli/Continental brigade but found them to be outrageously expensive for 275/45/20 with the right load rating for the Q7.

At $220 per tyre I didn't expect much but was pleasantly suprised, they were quiet, lasted 45,000km(which is more than can be said for most tyres on Q7's - usually about 30-35k does them in) and gripped well in both wet and dry. I will certainly look at them again when the time comes to replace the goodyears.

Whether they will perform the same on the Touareg as the Q7 I don't know but I would regard them as a good tyre.

( also never needed rebalancing during their life unlike some tyres)

Matthew

·
Registered
43 Posts
On my current car I have the original Goodyears, nice quiet tyre, can't comment on tyre life as I purchased the car at 11,000kms, they still looked pretty fresh, I suspect the car wasn't driven much in 2 years to rack up 11k. anyway, previous experience with my Q7 (Bigger and heavier car) was It had Cooper Zeon LTZ's on it when I bought it, they had done about 30,000km and were looking a bit down, but not worn out, they were however very noisy ( could have been wheel alignment problem previously). They were however quite good off road for a 20 inch tyre. They did get to the stage where they lost most of their grip in the wet and also didnt seem to be wearing out any more.... I replaced them with Nexen Ru5 tyres on recommendation from a tyre dealer. I was hesitant at first as I have always gone with the Michelin/Pirelli/Continental brigade but found them to be outrageously expensive for 275/45/20 with the right load rating for the Q7. At $220 per tyre I didn't expect much but was pleasantly suprised, they were quiet, lasted 45,000km(which is more than can be said for most tyres on Q7's - usually about 30-35k does them in) and gripped well in both wet and dry. I will certainly look at them again when the time comes to replace the goodyears. Whether they will perform the same on the Touareg as the Q7 I don't know but I would regard them as a good tyre. ( also never needed rebalancing during their life unlike some tyres) Matthew
I have used the OEM Goodyears. Over 50000 km on replacements no problems. Approx $525 per tyre

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have used the OEM Goodyears. Over 50000 km on replacements no problems. Approx $525 per tyre
That's pretty good tyre life, but certainly not a cheap tyre either, is your driving mainly highway?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Almost exclusively highway . Quiet tyres. Not a god choice for off road use.
I agree about the off road bit, I have some 255/60/18 general Grabber AT2's for off road work, they are great.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I notice that Continental are doing the buy 3, receive 4 special at the moment.
This means that the Conti SportContact 5 are available for $400 each.
Is there any thoughts on these tyres. In my experience these tyres grip the road like nothing else, but can tend to have a shorter life span as a result.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts