Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 v10 tdi with 20" wheels.

275/40-20 front and 315/35/-20 rear. Currently have continental extreme contact DWS tires. The front tire has a bubble in it and I'm going to take it in this week and get it replaced (road hazard warranty).

the tires are VERY noisy. I'm not sure if the issue is the bubble or the tires as it's been on there since I got it (not too long). I may try a different brand or style.

I don't need a snow tires as I live in GA, don't want a runflat (hate the ride) just curious if there's anything else to try. I'm usually partial to Pirelli tires but haven't tried anything in this style/sizes before.

any other suggestions or just get the new tires and see how they work. so far no complaints on the performance of the tires just the noise is a bit much.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Running different sized wheels and tires on the Touareg risks burning out the clutches in your gearbox due to transmission wind up at speeds over 50 mph.

Even when running IDENTICAL wheels and tires there must be no more than 3mm tread depth difference between the front and rear axles so matching overall circumferences is crucial.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from what I read they are the same, but it's the same sizes as the X5M and Land Rover uses on their 4wd models. I know he's had them on the car for 65k+ miles.

I'll probably just replace the Contis and see how it works and then decide on the next change if i want to change all 4 for something different.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As mentioned above a "square" set up might be best .

Also, we have run the Nokian R2's on our Jetta TDI and have been very happy with them. We have heard good things about their summer line up from our Tire shop .

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2006 v10 tdi with 20" wheels.

275/40-20 front and 315/35/-20 rear. Currently have continental extreme contact DWS tires. The front tire has a bubble in it and I'm going to take it in this week and get it replaced (road hazard warranty).

the tires are VERY noisy. I'm not sure if the issue is the bubble or the tires as it's been on there since I got it (not too long). I may try a different brand or style.

I don't need a snow tires as I live in GA, don't want a runflat (hate the ride) just curious if there's anything else to try. I'm usually partial to Pirelli tires but haven't tried anything in this style/sizes before.

any other suggestions or just get the new tires and see how they work. so far no complaints on the performance of the tires just the noise is a bit much.
I put a set of 265/50/19 Pirelli Scorpion all seasons on an 05 V8. Maybe it was that particular set but, they were really noisy and never really provided a smooth ride. I had them re-balanced several times.
I never was happy with them. I wound up trading the car in for other reasons.

·
Registered
208 Posts
275 45 20 Nokian Z-Line test case here... not the quietest, not the loudest. Definitely smooth though, and good grip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts