Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oil Changes

I have all ways done an early oil change on new vehicles. I'm also not to excited about going 5,000 mi. between oil changes. I know that it would be all right to go 5,000 mi. but I guess I'm from the old school that says 3,000 mi. for dino oil. I plan to switch to Mobile-1 after several thousand mi. and then I'll go the 5,000 mi. between oil changes

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I have read in several places that we TOUAREG owners should not touch the oil on the first 5k of ownership. I've read there are some special additives in the first batch of oil used for break-in.

I know this is contrary to information that many of us grew up on... but if that's what VW wants.... that's what I intend to give them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
oil changes

When I had around 1200 miles on the car...I took it to my VW dealer and had the oil changed prior to a 4000 mile trip to south Florida. They said it was kind of early to do it but did it anyway..

Then when arriving in Florida with 5500 miles on it I took it in and had the 5000 mile service done..tire rotation etc....The dealer (Vista VW) used Castrol synthetic oil for the change.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I read on some VW forum that they use a special break-in oil and it should be left in until the first specified service. Tregs come with synthetic oil and it is recommended for all oil chnges.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, I'm glad to get this info. It's good to hear that Tregs come with Synthetic oil. Do all VW dealers put in Synthetic? It would make more sense considering the cost. Of course the manual says 7.9 Quarts, I guess I should be happy that I'm not changing the oil in the 10 cyl. diesel with 12 Quarts. The manual did not show where the oil filter is located. A quick look underneath did not reveal it's location. Is it hard to get at?
Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.