Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
this is my first post on this forum so please forgive any mistakes, I'm no computer jockey.
I have a 2004 2.5 tdi Touareg that has developed a fault with the rear transfer box,my mechanic tells me that one or more bearings have gone.after contacting vw it would appear that they do not supply spare parts for these units,so my question is,does anyone know of a company in the uk that does rebuild kits for them,it's an auto by the way,would be really greafull for any help

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Post on the UK Touareg site: myTreg forums

Are you sure you have the correct part name?

What are actual symptoms?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
The symptoms are a noise that at first I thought was road noise caused by the cheap and nasty tyres that were fitted when I bought the car,I have since changed the wheels and tyres to a decent set of khumo,the noise persisted and I thought that it was most likely wheel bearing noise so I took it to see my mechanic who I trust implicitly ,he rejected my wheel bearing theory after a test drive so we put the car over his pit and jacked the front end up,he got me to spin the front wheels whilst he was under the car he then got me to listen next to the rear transfer box whilst he spun the wheels,an unmistakable noise of failing bearings was clearly audible(a low growling noise)

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Hi
The symptoms are a noise that at first I thought was road noise caused by the cheap and nasty tyres that were fitted when I bought the car,I have since changed the wheels and tyres to a decent set of khumo,the noise persisted and I thought that it was most likely wheel bearing noise so I took it to see my mechanic who I trust implicitly ,he rejected my wheel bearing theory after a test drive so we put the car over his pit and jacked the front end up,he got me to spin the front wheels whilst he was under the car he then got me to listen next to the rear transfer box whilst he spun the wheels,an unmistakable noise of failing bearings was clearly audible(a low growling noise)
That noise aside go for a drive and warm-up you driveline and drain your front diff oil into a clean container and look for metal in the oil.
Common issue with bearing failure in the front diff.
That aside I would think there are others but Cobra Transmissions in the USA do internal parts for the transfer case.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Drag
Thanks for the reply,I have only owned this car for a short time,it's done 95000 mls and just after I bought it my mechanic recommended that I have all the drive train fluids changed so he did the trans and front and rear difs/transfer boxes,all fluids purchased from a vw dealer,he told me that there was no excessive debris in any of the fluids,I must be honest this guy has never let me down and is well respected locally so I am prepared to accept his diagnosis,I'm just really pissed that vw don't do service parts for the transfer box,they want 2 1/2 grand for a new one which ain't happening so it's a second hand one or recon the one I've got.
cheers

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I too am confused about the name. There are the front and rear differentials which transfer power and torque to each of the wheels. Then there is the transfer case [just one, it is neither front nor rear] which allocates power from the transmission to the rear and front differentials.
I have never heard the name 'rear transfer box' hence the confusion.
Bearings CAN be obtained for all these units but NOT from VW. Since they have no way to train their technicians in the finer points of rebuilding the differentials and transfer cases they don't sell the individual parts. Various folks on this forum have posted from time to time the bearing part numbers for THEIR vehicles and might be of some assistance in sourcing your parts. But first we have to be sure just which pieces of the power train we are discussing.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
From the sound of things it is the rear differential that needs rebuilding or replacing.

Join and post on the UK site.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts