Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2006 v6 with 140k on it. this morning, my first gear slipped twice. i am trying to figure out if this is cause for panic or if it is not... here are the details.

-this is the first day there has been the slightest trouble with tranny
-car was cold, 21 degrees fahrenheit outside, regular drive, high range
-after .5 mile, trans slipped and revved to about 3000-3500 rpm with no power to wheels.
-i put vehicle in reverse, then in forward again, and 1st gear grabbed just fine.
-after 2.2 miles, from a stop the vehicle slipped again
-i have about a 30 mile drive to work but mostly on the highway. everything performed normally, including starting from a stopped position.

i am just a bit puzzled about this. 21 degrees is not cold for us--it consistently gets around 20 below where i live. like i said, everything seemed normal the rest of the drive. i am just trying to feel out if this rings any bells out there, since i live a few hours away from the nearest repair facility.

thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would do pan drop + filter change + full fluid change and see if takes care of it first.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would do pan drop + filter change + full fluid change and see if takes care of it first.
^+1.

Reason: Being low on ATF might induce slipping.

Never changing fluid was originally the message from my dealer too, not anymore. When I had my fluid changed last they said that while there is no official schedule, changing it every 50k (or 80k if you don't tow big) is now their recommendation. I tow near / at limit...hence more frequent changes.

Think of the Eurovans and how the "life long fluid" worked out for them...if you look at these used or talk to a VW mechanic, you will see what I mean.

Odd bit: At least where I live, the dealer vs VW independent shops bids were almost the same as far as cost for tran flush. This is because the correct fluid is very expensive and makes up a large amount this figure. I paid just shy of $470.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Change the ATF as above.

When done, do a gearbox reset:

Turn the ignition on but do NOT start the engine.

Press the gas pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release.

Turn the ignition off and remove the key.

Every owner should do this regularly anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks so much for the replies. i will get on this first.

i really appreciate the advice. i was a little bit shocked to see a $200 price tag to get the items to do it myself:

Vw Touareg Transmission Fluid Filter Change Kit - Vw ATF 6 Speed

but so it goes with the touareg. almost soiled myself years ago when a vw shop quoted me $2300 to do brakes... still ended up paying 700 for the privilege of doing it myslef.

thanks again for the help, everyone!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't be shocked, 200$ for fluid that lasts almost 100k miles is fine.

The engeneering that goes in a Touareg is 10x whats in an Envoy or a Tahoe..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
agreed. just a shocker to the pocketbook. anything else i should do while i have got the pan dropped? (other than clean, new gaskets, replace filter, replace fluids)

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks so much for the replies. i will get on this first.

i really appreciate the advice. i was a little bit shocked to see a $200 price tag to get the items to do it myself:

Vw Touareg Transmission Fluid Filter Change Kit - Vw ATF 6 Speed

but so it goes with the touareg. almost soiled myself years ago when a vw shop quoted me $2300 to do brakes... still ended up paying 700 for the privilege of doing it myslef.

thanks again for the help, everyone!
Wow...what cost so much to do brakes on a Touareg?

The wife & I are considering the Touareg, but the maint cost vs the Pontiac & Honda we have are worrisome. I'm used to doing brakes myself lots less.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You pay to play with a Touareg.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
from what i understand it is primarily because you have to replace the rotors every change, and the weight of the vehicle is substantial enough that the brakes are much more heavy duty components than other passenger vehicles.
there are lots of good threads about brakes on club forums.

also, a place called allretta truck parts has a great way to go if you are getting brakes in the future. he really know what he is doing when it comes to these quirky but wonderful vehicles.
also, for what it is worth, i think a realistic assessment of your needs as far as four wheel drive goes should be pretty high on the list too. touaregs are extraordinary in that department. i have had 7 four wheel drives in my life and pushed them all pretty hard and none came close to my treg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
from what i understand it is primarily because you have to replace the rotors every change, and the weight of the vehicle is substantial enough that the brakes are much more heavy duty components than other passenger vehicles.
My current vehicle is a 2006 Honda Ridgeline, GVWR of 6050# and I used to replace rotors everytime, rather than bother turning them. Now I simply replace them every other time unless they are damaged (warped, to thin, ect.). Interestingly, Honda themselves have changed the recommendation for turning every time to simple inspection and turning/replacing if needed.

So I'm quite aware that heavier vehicles require heftier (and more costly) parts.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The $700 I assume is all four. I have done my brakes too many times to count and it averaged just north of $340 each time for front OR rear. All OEM parts, that includes rotors, sensors, pads, and bolts (one time use). I buy from local discount wholesaler.

Because it is a heavy vehicle you will do the brakes more often than other SUV's some of which weigh quite a bit less than 5,300lb for curb weight. This is where it is more expensive.

Good news is you get very proficient at doing them...especially the front.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts