Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all – more questions about tire sizes. I have a 2009 TDI with steel springs and the 19” Terra wheels... I really want a tire that is a little “meatier” and more appropriate to the very light trail driving we do for camping and also in snow. Doesn’t need to be an off road tire, but can’t be a summer rated sport tire.

Stock size is obviously 275/45/19. I am having trouble finding a good slightly taller replacement (which is a common thread here about the 19” size), but would prefer not to go down to 18” and am definitely not going up to 20”.

Anyone running the Pirelli Scorpion Zero 275/55/19? About 2” (8%) taller than stock, street oriented but OK for light snow, seems like a good option just worried the total height of 30.91” per my math is too tall.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Zero&partnum=755HR9SCOR0V2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Thoughts? Alternatives? Thank you! Matt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, yes, have definitely tried searching. Haven't found anything on this tire/size...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Matt, like you I love my Terras. I had 18's but have reverted back to the 19's.
2"dia increase will affect the 'driveability' of your Treg - I found that, even with the V10.
I am using 255/55R19 which are 1"dia larger than standard and I think are about right.
Also, there are choices in rubber. I have Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs which I find acceptable noise-wise for the aggressive nature of the tread. I think they look great.
Just did 5000k's towing 3+tonnes over 3 weeks which included 800k's of dusty and rocky roads with no issues. (The duratracs have the kevlar belt in the tread). Dub

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I run 255/55r19 nokian R2 SUV as the winter size and 265/50r19 Nitto 421q as my rest of the year. I have notice from the original 275/45r19 that the ride is smoother and less harsh, probably from the increased sidewall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Dubby, those do look good. 30.04" tall versus 28.74" stock, although obviously some variance with the different brands.

I was worried 255s (at 3/4" narrower than stock) would be too narrow to the rim, but your pic looks great. Any pics closer up?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts