Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 r5 toureg today with 175000km on it.
Seems to be a really solid car with well dokumented service history, but i know there is a big service ahead, i asked the local Vw dealer what they are going to do when the want 17000sek or about 1800eur, and they said that only thing they did were to change oil and filters, and squeeze on bushings blaha blaha.
The intresting part was that they also wanted to change the clutch for both klimatkompressor and the alternator, and that i have never heard of unless in case of a failure, the vw technician sounded a bit surprised as well.
No to the question, is that really necessary or is it enough to change oil and filters and the normal vehicle check?

Two observation, first i noticed that i have no light och the right side of the tailgate, thought it was a bulb failure but after quite a bit of fiddeling with the pod were the lights are attached, it seems to be an electrical fault, is it a known problem?

For last i have noticed that if i drive with the car a few meter or more, the tailgate has to be unlocked withe the button on the side of the door or with key, i unlock the car works fine to open, i drive with it then it won´t open.. is that a fault or a feature? :)

// Johan

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The aircon compressor and the alternator EACH have a rubber coupling and a clutch.

BOTH parts need replacing as a service item, not just the rubber.

Does your engine have a DPF? Using EXACTLY the right oil in the R5 is a critical issue to avoid premature camshaft lobe wear and even VW dealers have been known to get it wrong.

Do take time to read the buying a used Touareg thread - link in my signature below. You will learn a lot [like the wiring breaks at the top of the tailgate where it goes into the roof lining and that you need to make sure the screenwash is at high winter strength early to avoid the rear screen wash pipe popping apart in the roof lining on the first cold morning] and possibly save money too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts