Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passed 175,000 miles a few weeks ago. The vehicle has 177,000 miles on it now.

Acquired it in November of 2010. Overall I think it's a great vehicle. I would buy another Touareg, it is a great combination of performance, economy, convenience and style.

It gets 31 mpg at 70mph on the highway, regularly. Engine power is the same as it always has been. No major maintenance needed at the moment. Oil changes twice per year at the dealer. New tires every other year. New brake rotors and pads around 150,000 miles.

It would benefit from new shock absorbers but I will defer this until absolutely needed.

Had some things to address that many others did:

- multiple trips to the dealer to correct the Ad Blue system
- DPF failure out of warranty, needed to replace it and also 2 oxygen sensors and their modules. $3k out of my pocket
- both rear hatch power actuators replaced at my cost. I think around $1,500.
- driver's side door lock button inoperative
- check engine light comes and goes. Will be checked by the dealer in a few weeks.
- navigation screen stopped working around 165,000 miles. Replaced at my cost, however this was mitigated by the $1,000 good will cash provided by VW last year or the year before. So zero cost net to me.
- infant mortality on a rear brake lamp bulb, around 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Awesome! Amazing engine. I would love to get that many miles. I'm close to 95k. You must go 20k between oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I hope you are changing the oil and filter every 10K.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the report. Seems like you're probably the person with the most miles on a T3. Curious to know what all the travel is for to rack up the miles? I'd like to get to 200k miles in my 2013 but I've got a ways to go since I'm at 80k and average 25k per year. While the repairs you mentioned are not trival I'd be satisfied all things considered. Would you agree?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rmeyer the travel is a couple different things.

-Denver, CO to eastern PA one trip
-Eastern PA to/from various locations in Michigan 4 times per year
-Eastern PA to/from Toronto weekly for 6 months
-Eastern PA to various points in the mid-Atlantic states, daily, for one year
-Eastern PA to/from eastern CT weekly for one year

Mostly work related (consulting). Other mileage is family/vacation related, and normal daily work commute of 40-80 miles per day.

Overall I am a satisfied Touareg owner.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That's amazing that you got 150K miles on your brakes. I'm on my third set of rotors and pads front and rear at 116K on my 2011 T3 Tdi. Mostly highway miles, and I only use engine braking on long hills. Had a few similar repairs as you, but my turbo also went at 114K, out of warranty, for a cool $3K plus. Other than that, still love the car and would keep it were it not for the likely buyback to come.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
150,000 mi on brakes is not unusual for that style driving - almost all highway, stay away from stop-and-go situations, rarely touch the brakes except when absolutely necessary, 'drive' ahead of your car (watch what is coming up), leave enough space so backing off on accelerator can bleed off speed if necessary. All these things are also reflected in the 31mpg he reports.

·
Registered
314 Posts
"Crockett haven't heard about a Touareg buyback. Is there one planned?"

Check in on the TDI EPA Recall thread for the latest info. Initial reports of a couple of weeks ago indicated that buyback might be the only option for 2009-2012 3.0 TDI's since there may be no approved fix. 2012+ may be fixable, but the consumer reps are still pushing for buyback option. Sounds unlikely that there will be a fix available for 2011's either way, so I'm mentally preparing at least for a buyback. We'll see in a day or two if they announce a final agreement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am at 145,000 miles. Search my posts. My problems were diesel fuel canister leak, Adblue software update (if i remember correctly), driver's side door lock/unlock still not fixed, oem brakes lasted over 100k, replacement brakes from Geoff were woeful, replaced with oem brakes again. Oil change every 10k. Other filters every 20k. I would buy this car again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trying to understand the buyout price, if one were offered.

1. Start with NADA value in 2015.
2. Adjust for mileage and features/options.

For me there is not enough money in the game to make a buyback interesting. Per the logic above I would have a 4 or 5 yr old vehicle with around 115,000 miles.

How does the "repair" option work? Does VW give you money *AND* a no-charge repair? Or do they give you money, which then must be spent on the repair?

Regardless of money, is the repair federally mandatory, if the repair route is chosen?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts