Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I haven't been on the forums much because my truck has been running well :)

But just recently I started having transmission troubles. When under med-high RPMs I get a bad clunk and mis shift between 5th and 6th gear. It only happens when you step on the throttle to pass and it switches from 5-6 under power. If I make sure to let of the gas before I sense the shift it is ok.

Any ideas what I am in for? Is there anything worth repairing at this point? Do you think it will hold up ? Everything else on the car is in great condition and I have taken great care of it for the last 11 years. But I know 163K miles is starting to have it's effects. I've replaced the water pump and timing belt twice for routine mx.

With a fresh set of tires, air suspension, tow package, it is worth $7,300 used at this point. Who is going to buy it with a bad shift under power? Might be worth more for parts?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have you tried a gearbox reset?

Turn the ignition on but do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Then release the pedal and turn the ignition off before removing the key.

I'd also check the ATF fluid level.

·
Registered
2005 V8
475 Posts
If it was my car I would do the reset, drop the pan, replace the filter and drain/fill the AFT three times. I replaced the ATF on my car at 85K miles and was horrified by the amount of graphite like sediment in the pan and filter. My guess is that this sediment can be clogging the filter at times when your transmission needs the fluid most and have all sorts of negative effects like bad shifting and wear. If you are not familiar with the system, the filter sits close to the bottom of the pan and the system sucks the ATF through the filter and feeds it upwards into the transmission.

I used Mobil 3309 that I bought by the case from Ebay. After three drain/fills shifting on the car is super smooth.

I am in the same boat, my Treg is 10 years old and has been driven mostly by my wife for the last 10 years, worth very little money but still a beast of a car. I cannot let it go.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've done the reset a bunch every few months. That changes how it drives but doesn't change the clunk. Feels like the gears between 5-6th gear are dying.

Thanks voortreger. I will give your instructions a shot!
Yes, I would like to hold onto to a bit longer. Everything else about it has been great. And it still does everything I need in a car.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
ATF change it is then and fingers crossed it improves things. It does sound like the clutch packs may be on the way out though but then again I'd have thought the problem would then manifest itself across other gears too. Are you running the car with 4 IDENTICAL tires [they look as though they are from the pics]?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, identical 4 tires. But good question. Those are old photos back in 2006.

I'm down in San Francisco for the time being. A major pain in the... to work on it myself. No room in the garage here. Might have to buy the supplies and see if a shop knows how to do it. Maybe a transmission shop would know better then the VW shops I have tried. Both 2 VW places in SF had trouble doing an oil change correctly.

I am reading this thread on ATF fluid swap. Looks pretty messy!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
classic prob with these vehicles tran needs a new valve body

do a trade in and hope the test drive by the dealer doesnt pick anything up

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Valve body? hmmm. I'll have to find some reading on this topic. Got link?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Valve body? hmmm. I'll have to find some reading on this topic. Got link?

Valve Body

Automatic transmission valve body The valve body is the control center of the automatic transmission. It contains a maze of channels and passages that direct hydraulic fluid to the numerous valves which then activate the appropriate clutch pack or band servo to smoothly shift to the appropriate gear for each driving situation. Each of the many valves in the valve body has a specific purpose and is named for that function. For example the 2-3 shift valve activates the 2nd gear to 3rd gear up-shift or the 3-2 shift timing valve which determines when a downshift should occur.

The most important valve, and the one that you have direct control over is the manual valve. The manual valve is directly connected to the gear shift handle and covers and uncovers various passages depending on what position the gear shift is placed in. When you place the gear shift in Drive, for instance, the manual valve directs fluid to the clutch pack(s) that activates 1st gear. it also sets up to monitor vehicle speed and throttle position so that it can determine the optimal time and the force for the 1 - 2 shift. On computer controlled transmissions, you will also have electrical solenoids that are mounted in the valve body to direct fluid to the appropriate clutch packs or bands under computer control to more precisely control shift points.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts