Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded my '12 TDI for a complianced '16 TDI that had 20,000 miles on it pursuant to the EPA mess. Happy so far. I will report on the differences later....

I have used fuel additive (diesel kleen) ever since my '12 gelled in 2013.

The '16 has a block/door in the filler neck that is opened by a correctly sized diesel nozzle but the plastic funnel that I use for diesel treat will not open it. I am surprised that this hasn't been discussed here. I suspect the block is to prevent entry of a gasoline nozzle, but that's only a guess.

By the way, in this forum years back there was MUCH discussion of diesel additive with the result being that it is recommended by the group for generally increasing the lubricity of US fuel which was reported to be less than that of Europe. And of course the winter mix additive helps prevent gelling. So I want to continue with diesel treatment.

I'm going to try to find an appropriately sized funnel, but absent that, has anyone else had and solved this problem?

·
Registered
783 Posts
you may have meant to say power service white in the winter for gelling and power service grey (diesel kleen) in the non-winter months. I am not understanding what the problem is. Are you saying that you are using a funnel to pour power service into your tank and the funnel is wider than a pump nozzle?

I use PS with each fill and just pour it straight from the bottle, and it goes right in- around the "door" block.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is this the mechanism you're describing?

I never noticed it on my 2014 TDI. I just checked right now and it's definitely there (a thinner version than the video). Tried pushing open the flap with my finger and I can't. But I've never had a problem opening it with an additive dispenser. The one I'm using is an old Sta-bil dispenser for gasoline additive, since it lets you measure how many fl oz you're pouring in. I just refill it with diesel additive. So I gotta figure it's the diameter of a gasoline nozzle or smaller. I'm gonna have to test how effective that little block is at blocking a gasoline nozzle next time I fill up. Maybe I just never pushed the additive bottle that far in and the fluid was dribbling past the block.

I used Diesel Kleen the first year, but had to switch to Stanadyne because the smell of the Diesel Kleen was so terrible. There isn't as much discussion about Stanadyne. The first bottle I got was Stanadyne Diesel Performance additive. That seemed to work as well as the Diesel Kleen. But the second bottle I accidentally bought the Stanadyne Diesel Lubricity additive instead. That seemed to work even better. With cruise control set @ 65 MPH on my short freeway test route, mileage went from 36.7 MPG to 37.8 MPG.

https://www.amazon.com/STANADYNE-DIESEL-PERFORMANCE-FORMULA-OZ/dp/B000M5QPSY
https://www.amazon.com/STANADYNE-DIESEL-LUBRICITY-FORMULA-OZ/dp/B009LPTDG2

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all --- this forum is incredibly useful

I looked at the owner's manual since first posting - the guardian of the tank is called, "misfueling guard for diesel vehicles."

I think I'll get a neck adapter from Amazon that will allow use of my funnel.

Question for Solandri: Do you use the Stanadyne in winter/year round? I too don't like the odor of Diesel Kleen but I appreciate the winter mix especially after having had a gelling episode. That video, by the way, is perfect. Thank you.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I add a Stanadyne lubricity additive with every tank. I had an empty bottle of Sta-bil (I use their product for gasoline storage, but have never tried their diesel products) with a dosing compartment. I refill this bottle with lubricity additive and store it in the right rear door pocket. It works well for easily measuring the product and you don't need to use a funnel.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/diesel-formula-sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer/

I also keep a fuel neck adapter funnel as well, but I've never had to use it a filling station.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The restrictor is actually quite easy to remove.. took me about 10 minutes to figure out how, select tools, and do it.

I added a writeup to the how-to section but AFAIK it never got posted.. not sure what's up with the mods in that section

Let me see whether I can find the pics.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here are the pics. Basically you put tools into the small holes on the face of the lock ring and turn CCW. There is a small detent tab in the slot on the upper right that prevents rotation, but I was unable to pull the tab back enough. I just twisted and it slipped past. Lock ring comes out. Then use a hooked tool to pull the adapter out and you have a regular large diesel fill port.

Apologies for the sideways starter pic. The two tools are what I used in the small holes.. then I used a hooked o-ring pick to fish the restrictor out.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bloc, Great write-up. I will offer one small caution.

When the 2009+ CR Jettas/Golfs were going through a number of HPFPs and they were being investigated by the NHTSA, Volkswagen came out with a "fix" for the HPFP that involved adding the restrictor to the fuel filler and putting a bunch of "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" stickers all over the car. The implication was that the pumps were not faulty, but rather the owners were filling them with gasoline.

I would suggest retaining the parts at least until any warranties on the fuel pump expire (120,000 miles or 50,000 miles from an emissions fix). I'd hate to have a fuel pump warranty denied because VW claims I bypassed the diesel-only filler restrictor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bloc, Great write-up. I will offer one small caution.

When the 2009+ CR Jettas/Golfs were going through a number of HPFPs and they were being investigated by the NHTSA, Volkswagen came out with a "fix" for the HPFP that involved adding the restrictor to the fuel filler and putting a bunch of "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" stickers all over the car. The implication was that the pumps were not faulty, but rather the owners were filling them with gasoline.

I would suggest retaining the parts at least until any warranties on the fuel pump expire (120,000 miles or 50,000 miles from an emissions fix). I'd hate to have a fuel pump warranty denied because VW claims I bypassed the diesel-only filler restrictor.
I did keep the parts and they would be very easy to reinstall, though from what I've read fuel testing is standard now in cases of HPFP failure. I know I'll be requesting a sample of the fuel with any HPFP failure, the implication being that I'll get it tested independently. This doesn't mean they won't argue it was misfueled in the past, but current tank contents and a thick stack of receipts at diesel pumps should show that I knew what I was doing.

Or at least that's my strategy.

Obviously anyone tuned or otherwise out of warranty doesn't need to worry about this.. spouses/kids/others that borrow the car, however...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Question for Solandri: Do you use the Stanadyne in winter/year round? I too don't like the odor of Diesel Kleen but I appreciate the winter mix especially after having had a gelling episode. That video, by the way, is perfect. Thank you.
Alas I'm in Southern California by the beach, and the coldest it gets at night in the middle of winter is about 50F. So can't help, sorry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here are the pics. Basically you put tools into the small holes on the face of the lock ring and turn CCW. There is a small detent tab in the slot on the upper right that prevents rotation, but I was unable to pull the tab back enough. I just twisted and it slipped past. Lock ring comes out. Then use a hooked tool to pull the adapter out and you have a regular large diesel fill port.

Apologies for the sideways starter pic. The two tools are what I used in the small holes.. then I used a hooked o-ring pick to fish the restrictor out.

Bloc? we found this post very helpful. In AU it's much easier to use the truck diesel (fast flow) pumps when towing a caravan. Also the fill point on our Touareg is the "wrong" side of the convenient bowser (given we drive on the left). I've been trying for hours but cannot budge the lock ring. Any tips ??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts