Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dynamat on all 4 doors. Polk DB 6501 on all doors powered by a JL Audio XD400/4. Custom subwoofer box with one 12" Alpine Type-X driven by a MRP-M1000. AudioControl DQ-61 to bring it all together.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was very lucky with how everything fit. 4 gauge power fits under panels from battery to trunk without the need to remove them. The polk DB 6501 fit in the existing speaker bracket (using the polk grill attached). Snapped the old tweeters off and just glued the new ones on. Subwoofer amp fit perfectly under the spare. Everything is hidden and looks 100% stock (except the subwoofer obviously). Sounds a million times better - as it should with a good audio processor and 1,450 Watts RMS!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I imagine I saved around $2,000 by doing it all myself... with the help of ClubTouareg members of course! I also got ridiculous deals on the amps through craigslist. A lot of hours went into this... kinda unsettling ripping apart a brand new car - but it all came together!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the Sub. Peter @ PWK Designs took the loading volume of the Touareg, the dimensions I provided to him (fits perfectly on the rubber mat), amp/sub I was using, and used his custom design software to digitally model a box resulting in the performance I was looking for. The design looks basic - but a lot of calculations went into it. Let me tell you - this thing BUMPS! I think it's around 140db and can easily reproduce 20Hz notes. Built for sound quality over SPL.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm going to install the dq61 how are you setting it up are you just running front and rear into it or summing both front and rear?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm running all 4 channels into it (front L+R and rear L+R) so that I can maintain balance and fading through the RNS-850. I did have to set the rear signal strength a bit higher for an even output.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok cool I noticed the rear output is really low from the factory amp. Would you be able to tell me what you have settings at on your dq61 to give me a starting point for tuning it? That would be awesome

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pipeliner, I started by turning the gains all the way down on my amplifiers and the DQ-61. Then disconnect the RCA outputs on the DQ-61. Then turn on the headunit (all EQ settings at zero, faded to the middle) and play music @ roughly 80% volume. Now connect the output RCA's and turn up the input gains until the yellow light on the DQ-61 is flickering. At this point you should be getting audio. Turn up the output gains until you're happy. I left mine about 25% input (30% for the rear) and 50% for the outputs. My aftermarket amp gains are turned up about 25% too. The DQ-61 does a good job at giving the amps a high quality signal so you don't need to turn up the amps very high at all. The subwoofer amp is turned up about 1/2 way because I am using the remote knob from the DQ-61 for the sub's volume.
The process can take a while to get it how you want it. My advice is to start with everything as low as possible, and tweak until you're satisfied. I know mine can go a lot louder - but I want a buffer (and my ears will thank me in a couple of years!).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for that my set up will be dq61 into a kenwood xr900/5 channel amp powering the stock speakers for now and a jlaudio 6.5 microsub that fits perfect under the spare tire

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok so I got everything hooked up and all was working great last night then when I got in the treg this am I couldn't get any audio out of the system everything turned on but no sound so I unplugged the power from the dq61 and plugged it back in and back came the audio. I called audiocontrol they said vw might be monitoring speaker loads and with the dq61 it doesn't present a load so the vw brain won't send out audio because it thinks there's an open circuit. Can I change this vagcom?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I had a similar problem. It might be from the DQ-61' s GTO remote turn on. If you jump the remote turn on with the +12 volt power input the problem is corrected - but then of course your power will be drained when the car is off. Audiocontrol stated the same "speaker load" scenario and had me solder 150ohm 1/2 watt resistors on the speaker level before the input. This did not fix the issue and they had me send the DQ-61 back to ensure the unit was working correctly. The unit made it back after complete testing and nothing is wrong with the DQ-61. I will re-install everything after work today and update this thread with results. Pipeliner, Brandon Cook @ Audiocontrol has been extremely helpful troubleshooting so far - so I would call and ask for him - or I can send you his e-mail. Either way we are experiencing the same issue and I'm confident Audiocontrol will find a solution for us. Currently the system will work until I start the ignition at which time the DQ-61 "resets" and does not stay on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Audiocontrol just replied with,

"I am working on locating a 12v turn on wire out of your car for a workaround. This appears to be the issue - the DC we are looking for to engage the auto turn in the DQ-61 isn't as robust as other cars and puts the DQ-61 into an odd state.

Are you pretty handy with general electronics? The Touareg isn't too friendly in providing a 12v turn on.

Brandon ".

I may just find a fuse that I can tap into for a remote turn on wire... I really wanted to use the DQ-61's auto turn on sensor...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same issues and I also talked to Brandon we tried all the same things and couldn't get the processor to work correctly when it did work it sounded awesome though. I ended up sending it back for a return and just installed the lc2i by splicing into the front speaker leads it works great for the subwoofer amp. I had my mechanic put the vagcom on it with the dq61 and it faulted to open circuits on all speakers so it wouldn't send any audio to them but the dq61 would turn on and it would turn on my amplifier weird.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'm going to try a bit longer to get the DQ-61 to work. The "open circuit" problem sounds like the issue - but then again the DQ-61 worked fine when I bypassed the signal sensing auto turn on and just gave it constant +12v.

If I don't resolve this within a week or so, I will just try a different sound processor.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brandon @ Audiocontrol said the resistors I added would compensate for the open circuit problem, so I still believe my issue is the auto turn on.

I see two options:
1- find a fuse that turns on at the same time as the stereo and run a wire back
2 - tap into the cigarette lighter in the rear and connect to the remote turn on

Can anyone assist with this? I don't know which fuse would work, and I dont know which wire to tap into for the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
*UPDATE* I replaced the stock, plastic speaker adapters with some custom made MDF baffles and WOW the difference is night and day. I finally have mid-bass! I would highly recommend anyone adding aftermarket speaker to get some MDF baffles. My system blends with the subwoofer now - and actually sounds good with the sub off, whereas before the subwoofer was acting like a band aid to the overall performance.
While the door panels were off, I soldered a few wires that weren't before - and set the Polk tweeters to (-3db). I am now very satisfied with the audio in my touareg. Very flat response, but heavy on the bass with the turn of a knob!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts