Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our '06 Treg has 129k miles on it. It was recently in the shop diagnosed with bad cat, leaking thermostat housing and noise in front differential. Repair tech advised to get rid of it because of the excessive cost to fix it all.

Cats - $2500
replace thermostat housing - $1100
Front differential - $1300 (but probably ok to drive for a while as is)

Wrestling with what I want to do. I'd like to keep it for a couple more years but concerned we are looking at mounting repair bills. Rest of truck is in great shape, actually tricked out with brush-guard, step rails, etc.

Would love to hear how other Tregs are holding up beyond 130k miles.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Like all cars, some are doing really well and only need servicing whilst others show their age and/or their mileage and go tits up from time to time, and others just need the odd tweak to keep them going.

If those prices are real, then you need to add on whatever else might be on the way out to the $5K you list.

Maybe it is time to move on, after all it's only a lump of tin.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I can't imagine it's $1,100 to R&R a THERMOSTAT!!!! Yikes. Unless you're dropping the motor. In which case, the cat replacement should be cheaper, too, since you're already in there.

I'd get another quote.

Is it $1,300 to replace with a used diff housing? Or are they going to put new bearings in your existing one?

All prices see kinda high. But I'm also a stingy bastard.

But if these prices are Canadian or Aussie, then it might be reasonable. <shrug>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FSJGuy - nothing wrong with being stingy........

yes. they are telling me they have to drop the motor. They also told me that the cost for the cats would come down a few hundred bucks (USA bucks btw) if we did it all at once. The differential work would be a full replacement.

I'm just very torn because the truck is only worth about 4 grand, which is pretty much the cost of everything. Flip-side of the coin is that the truck could last a few more years and I'm loving the concept of no car payment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is it the v6 or v8? From the sounds of it, you'd be able to do at least the thermostat yourself and maybe be able to work out a deal if you find parts and then just have the shop install if you're not comfortable. If my diff goes, I'll likely fix it at home but anything more will require an expert. The cat might not be too bad to do yourself with some consulting of the forum and YouTube.

I totally get the scenario of the cars value against the work needed but getting rid of it will be just as tough since anyone who researches these will know what to look for.

My suggestion is to haggle and maybe provide parts.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My opinion for what it is worth:

I would get a second opinion before doing ANYTHING.

The thermostat cost appears to indicate you have a V8 where the thermostat is under timing belt. No need to drop engine here (as my understanding is) you remove bumper, bumper support and pull back radiator / AC assembly to gain access. But the cost for this is about right...just not the drop the engine part. Now has the T-Belt been replaced recently? Was the thermostat and tensioner replaced as part of that? This needs to be done at no more than 100k or you risk it snapping and destroying the motor.

I see the engine drop as perhaps part of the cat replacement procedures to remain OEM, that said this is the part that sounds the highest. Depending on state you might get away with a good muffler shop welding a generic one in for you (would save you a boat load). California I hear is one known stickler with this needing to be OEM.

The differential could be purchased used or could have fresh fluid put it and ran for another year or two.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If this is a V8, I don't see any reason the motor has to come out. The thermostat housing should be able to be replaced from the top:

https://goo.gl/KsWRlr

If the studs holding the primary cats onto the exhaust manifolds aren't completely rusted, again these can be removed with the motor in place (from below). If the exhaust manifold studs break, the motor might have to come out to replace the manifold and then the cat.

You should get a breakdown on parts vs. labor for each operation to see if it is worth your time to run down better priced parts.

You can get new 48 state (no CA or NY) legal primary cats (with flex pipe) on RockAuto for under $300 per side.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it's worth, I have an 05 Touareg V8, just turned 200,040 miles. I just replaced a cat. being it was not oem I still took the chance on a company that sells them out of canada for $159 us. It fixed the cat problem and passed emissions.
yes, rusted flange bolt broke (lowers). did it all myself, no engine drop needed. definitely not as bad as it looks.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It would be helpful if you added the link for the catalytic convertor supplier!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Based on prices in original post it will be ~$4,900 to fix, that is $408 a month for next 12 months.

Can you buy a replacement vehicle you enjoy driving as much as the Touareg for $408 a month?

If you fix Touareg and it delivers trouble free service past 12 months your cost of repair per month of driving it goes down, unfortunately there is no way to predict when your next repair will be needed.......

If you buy a replacement vehicle most likely you are locked into a payment for 36 months or longer, if it is a new vehicle the first 3 years should not cost you anything in maintenance.

It's a crap shoot for what is best to do.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Car worth $5,000.

Known repairs might cost $5,000.

Unknown repairs yet to come will probably have three noughts attached.

Time to use head, not heart, and move on.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Agree with @noobytoogy ... even Old Yeller needed to be taken out behind the shed at some point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is where I bought my cat. a couple of local muffler shops said the only use OEM cat.'s on vw's like mine. which are $1100+ each.
so after trying the Acetone trick and that didnt solve my check engine light. I took a chance with this budget priced cat. it solved the problem, CEL gone and passed emissions.
I've since ordered the opposite side, just for performance value related to the high miles on my Treg.

Sorry, since I am new member I'm not yet allowed to post links, but their e-bay store is called CAN-muffler.
an e-bay search is how I found it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts