Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m checking to see if I’m normal or overly sensitive. New owner of a TDI. Windows up and every stop light or each time I slow to a crawl in freeway traffic I smell Diesel exhaust. Since this is my first maybe this is regular or maybe I’m hyper sensitive. What is your opinion?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There is a flexible section in the exhaust that has caused this kind of problem in the past.

It's also a total bitch to fix.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think I've ever smelled a whiff of diesel off of out Touareg. The only sign that it is a diesel is the clatter standing next to it and the TORQUE off the line. Now my old MK4 TDI wagon was a different story.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It may also be the smell of fuel tracked in while filling. Have your vehicle detailed, and either use full service or wear disposable gloves when filling, and Monster mats or WeatherTech floor mats.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Well if it is an exhaust leak you will hear it from the outside of the car. Any leak will increase the noise underneath the car. I've had a diesel exhaust smell in either of my TREG TDIs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since the FIX I have a raw diesel exhaust smell only when cold. Goes away once warmed up and is not noticeable during warmer weather days. I have to bring mine in for NOX sensor replacement so will have them check for exhaust leak at same time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What I know from Touareg 03-09, some models were fit with an auxiliary heater.
The auxiliary heater uses the exhaust gas to warm up the cabin faster. There is also a small exhaust pipe under the driver seat which emits a bit of exhaust smoke. This smoke can be smelled if the car is stationary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, this for sure am exhaust smell not a diesel fuel smell. So I’ll start looking around I suppose. Cause this happens quickly while stopped I don’t think it’s from the tail pipe I think I have some issue under the hood. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Have a look in the engine bay either side of the engine on the guards at about exhaust manifold height and look for a black tar like substance spread about.
If you see any it will be blown injector seals.
Quite common on T3 diesel engines.

Regards
Drag

Ok, this for sure am exhaust smell not a diesel fuel smell. So I’ll start looking around I suppose. Cause this happens quickly while stopped I don’t think it’s from the tail pipe I think I have some issue under the hood. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi,
Below both outer rear seats, there are two hatches that give acces to the fuel tank pumps and piping. Worth checking if they sit properly and also the condition of the quick coupling connectors of the fuel pipes.
Also have a look at the fuel filter housing, it is very close to the hvac air intake. If there is a leak there it is very likely that the smell will be noticeable in the cabin.
I hope it helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 Touareg TDI was just in the shop for 2 weeks for replacement of a split connector pipe that connects the turbo and the EGR cooler. It was an extended warranty repair as a result of the "fix".

I noticed that my cabin air intake was drawing in leaking exhaust coming from the engine compartment when stopped or at very low speeds. I used to turn off cabin air fan when not moving, even then I could smell a slight exhaust odor. Definitely get it fixed, raw diesel exhaust is no good for your lungs.

I bought the Treg with this issue unknowingly only a thousand miles post-fix. Luckily the repair was covered. Since it has been back the exhaust smell is completely gone.

If the dealership tries to ding you for a diagnostic fee call the extended warranty center and get them to approve it. It is a known problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 2013 that was "fixed" and had similar concerns.... I had an exhaust leak at the turbo to the downpipe. I've since replaced the downpipe with a rawtek pipe, and that problem was fixed. I also noticed that the #1 and #4 cylinders were both missing the copper gasket on the injectors, so I replaced those too, after my #1 injector blew out on me!
so check for soot between the turbo and exhaust, and also look at the little holes on the sides of the cylinder heads to see if they're seeping black death.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts