Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2011 TDI Lux
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my T-Reg back from the dealership for transmission problems (got a new TCM), and two days later a CEL pops up. I plugged in my VCDS and pulled this code. Pretty sure this will be covered under the Extended Emissions Warranty but wanted to get outside opinions before I schlep it back to the dealer.

1 Fault Found:
9690 - Sensor for NOx (G295)
P1032 00 [237] - Signal too High
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 188336 km
Date: 2022.05.01
Time: 20:05:28

Engine RPM: 1644.50 /min
Normed load value: 82.4 %
Vehicle speed: 100 km/h
Coolant temperature: 97 °C
Intake air temperature: 22 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1000 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.420 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Air mass: actual value (mg/stroke): 544.9 mg/stroke
EGR Vacuum Regulator Solen.val.: activation: 71.70 %
NOx Emission NOx-Sensor 2: 0 ppm
NOx Emission NOx Sensor: 139 ppm
Mean injection quantity: 28.57 mg/stroke
Exhaust gas temperature sensor 1: 551.1 °C

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
It's covered

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had my nox cat and nox sensor replaced under warranty on my 2011 a few months ago, as well as 10 other emission parts.

What problems was your transmission giving to replace your TCM? Did it throw a code? Was it rough? How much did it cost? My transmission has been kinda garbage. It’s been shifting so horrible it’s embarrassing to have people in the car. VW dealers of course refuse to admit any issues. “It drives great, that’s how Touaregs shift”…. “STFU No they don’t” is what I want to tell them.

·
Registered
2011 TDI Lux
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had my nox cat and nox sensor replaced under warranty on my 2011 a few months ago, as well as 10 other emission parts.

What problems was your transmission giving to replace your TCM? Did it throw a code? Was it rough? How much did it cost? My transmission has been kinda garbage. It’s been shifting so horrible it’s embarrassing to have people in the car. VW dealers of course refuse to admit any issues. “It drives great, that’s how Touaregs shift”…. “STFU No they don’t” is what I want to tell them.
My Touareg wouldn't shift at all! It was basically stuck in limp mode. First, I replaced the valve body, and that didn't solve it. Next, I replaced the transmission, and the transmission still didn't shift, so I ended up taking it to a dealership, and they replaced the TCM. That's what finally solved the problem. I think the original TCM somehow got fried and wasn't responding.

·
Registered
2011 TDI Lux
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it's not covered under warranty, because someone (previous owner or mechanic) broke the tabs off of the plug, so the sensor can come loose and give faulty signals. Grrr! $700 to replace it. Even if I bought the sensor and replaced it myself, it's about $400

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Uhhh, they're denying covering it because tabs are broken off?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Wow unreal

·
Registered
2011 TDI Lux
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow unreal
Got home tonight and looked under the hood. OMG, this is such an easy fix, the sensor probe screws into the exhaust and the top rear of the engine, and the processor mounts to a bracket next to the 12V terminal. It's got to be a 20-minute swap. Just a 22mm O2 sensor socket and a 10mm socket. I'm just ordering a sensor from VW, $272 with shipping and doing it myself!

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
664 Posts
If it's only the connector that pops off, don't bother replacing it.... just zip-tie the connection so it doesn't pop off.
Post a pic of what's broken, etc. You can even replace just the connector housing most of the time if you really want to... I wouldn't replace a working sensor for broken tabs on my dime....

·
Registered
664 Posts
Got home tonight and looked under the hood. OMG, this is such an easy fix, the sensor probe screws into the exhaust and the top rear of the engine, and the processor mounts to a bracket next to the 12V terminal.
You may want to do some data logging and\or additional troubleshooting first.
When I look at your codes, I see that sensor is reading but the other one under the vehicle is at zero.... I would suspect that you're about to change a good sensor instead of the one that's gone off the rails..... I'd suggest doing a log and taking readings off both to ensure that you're swapping out the failed component. I'd have to take a reading off mine to compare, but a zero reading seems suspect to me. (unless it's a Prius ofcourse)

1 Fault Found:

NOx Emission NOx-Sensor 2: 0 ppm
NOx Emission NOx Sensor: 139 ppm

·
Registered
2011 TDI Lux
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You may want to do some data logging and\or additional troubleshooting first.
When I look at your codes, I see that sensor is reading but the other one under the vehicle is at zero.... I would suspect that you're about to change a good sensor instead of the one that's gone off the rails..... I'd suggest doing a log and taking readings off both to ensure that you're swapping out the failed component. I'd have to take a reading off mine to compare, but a zero reading seems suspect to me. (unless it's a Prius ofcourse)
I see what you are saying...

This is interesting, the dealer cleared the code yesterday, and the T-Reg threw the code again on the way home last night. This time it had a reading for both sensors.

Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 188389 km
Date: 2022.05.07
Time: 07:17:45

Engine RPM: 1837.50 /min
Normed load value: 12.9 %
Vehicle speed: 101 km/h
Coolant temperature: 96 °C
Intake air temperature: 13 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1000 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.620 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Air mass: actual value (mg/stroke): 336.5 mg/stroke
EGR Vacuum Regulator Solen.val.: activation: 0.00 %
NOx Emission NOx-Sensor 2: 286 ppm
NOx Emission NOx Sensor: 237 ppm

Mean injection quantity: 1.92 mg/stroke
Exhaust gas temperature sensor 1: 470.6 °C

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't like what I'm seeing. Try unplugging the first sensor to see if the correct reading zeros out (while doing live reading or logging). If the 2nd sensor, after the cat is reading higher than the first one, somehow your system is increasing NOx instead of reducing it..... something is fishy!

G295 is the sensor you're looking at for sure, but the readings don't compute for me!

·
Registered
2011 TDI Lux
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zip tied the sensor and went on a drive with VCDS attached. From what I could observe, things looked much more normal (normal is subjective, as I'm not well versed in the 3.0 V6 TDI, my knowledge base is in the 1.9 BRM and 2.0 CJAA engines).

These were my readings after a 5-6 mile drive:

Address 01: Engine (7P0 907 401 J)

22:04:46
IDE05346 NOx Emission NOx-Sensor 2 97 ppm
IDE05347 NOx Emission NOx Sensor 160 ppm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine (7P0 907 401 J)

22:04:52
IDE05346 NOx Emission NOx-Sensor 2 94 ppm
IDE05347 NOx Emission NOx Sensor 161 ppm

·
Registered
664 Posts
My CJAA was taken from me at a young age, so don't throw salt into the wound :cry:
To me, your readings make sense now, as the downstream sensor is reading lower than the upstream one... so the DEF injector and cat are doing things to reduce the levels.

Did your code pop again?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts