Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently at the dealer ready to sign for a CPO 2016 Touareg. Pretty sure they’re just trying to upsell me on another warranty, saying the original warranty is invalidated just because it’s a CPO and comes with 2 year bumper to bumper.. Truth or scam?

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
969 Posts
2016 Lux.. Not TDI.
You get the balance of the remaining factory warranty plus the additional 2 years and mileage. At least that’s how it’s been with every vw and Audi I’ve bought in Canada.

·
Registered
09 TDi
438 Posts
Every CPO warranty Ive ever encountered kicks in at the end of the factory warranty and is therefore in addition to, not in lieu of the factory warranty. Factory warranty is also more comprehensive than the CPO. Just remind them of something called Moss-Magnuson

·
Registered
09 TDi
438 Posts
I wasn't saying that a CPO warranty is not a good thing. I've had a couple of 2 yo CPO luxury cars. I've also never seen them being optional since dealers get incentivized for selling cars with them. those vehicles go through a fairly comprehensive check list and repair requirements and wear tolerances so it's a no nonsense warranty and not an after sale optional upgrade.

the decision to CPO a vehicle is generally made during initial service inspection and before it hits the lot so its either there or not. The other things dealers will do is try is to resell you the CPO warranty even if it already has one which may be the case here. CPO stays with the car so I'd call the mfg and ask.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just re-read what I hastily typed while at the dealer and realized I wasn’t very clear.. The car is CPO and came with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, at no additional cost to me. The dealer also tried to sell me an additional warranty on top of that - I can’t remember the specifics at this point but believe it was for an additional 3 years, so 2 years from the CPO plus 3 - total 5 years.

My question is regarding what I believe was originally included with the car - 100k/10 year power train warranty. They tried to tell me that because it’s a CPO, that original warranty no longer exists and I would need to purchase that additional 3 year warranty. Just didn’t sound right to me.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
969 Posts
The original factory warranty is good for its period, then the CPO warranty takes over afterwards. You have an ignorant salesperson.

Reactions: jeffnhiscars

·
Registered
27 Posts
The 10/100 powertrain is not the same as the CPO bumper to bumper. They run concurrent and the powertrain does transfer and is still valid. Not sure exactly how many miles the vehicle has currently, but time wise, the powertrain should be good through 2025/26 depending when it was originally in service.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, the 10/100k stays with the car. I purchased a 2016 LUX V6 back in December 2018, had a month of original warranty plus the 2-year. CPO covered everything that broke, which was not too much. Fuel gauge broke, some water damage in a leaking hose, and the big one LED DRL failure three-weeks before the CPO ran out. The bill was $2,000.00 for that one.

Not sure how good the 10/100 is, but better than nothing. Car has been solid so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
10/100k is amazing. Had a 2011 with about 5 different leaks. Took it in at 99984 miles and all were fixed under warranty. Total cost about 4k. I would have kept that but decided to get a newer one with more options and different color scheme.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts