Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up our Treg from the dealer. We took it in for a broken rear hatch (won't open past 1/2 way) and the 5k service. After 2 days, they said it was ready. When we picked it up, the 5k service was completed, but the rear hatch still broken. They had to order parts, so in the mean time, we cannot access the cargo area. I thought it was "ready". Also, the 5k service which is basically an oil change and visual inspection was $105.70. I am a dealer and get everything at 15% off and no sales tax (supposedly). That amount seemed quite high. Anyone else have a problem with $100+ for an oil change?

Also, I mentioned to them (even printed it out) about the TSB for the windshield condensation and was told that, even though our Treg has that problem, the TSB did not apply to our vehicle. How is that? Seems to me that if we are having the condensation problem, this TSB would apply. What do I know???

As a loyal VW fan for many years, my allegiance is slowly fading.

· Registered
9 Posts
$100+ oil change

Yes, we also took our's in at 5k for the required service. The oil change cost us $120. I agree that is way over priced even though they use the synthetic oil. Seems like a rip on top of the original cost of the Touareg. Live and learn.

· Registered
2 Posts
Wow that's crazy!!

100 bucks for an oil change?? I can change my 2003 4Runner, which has a 4.7 L V8 for $23 at my dealer. With synthetic, it's maybe 40. Is maintenance really that much for the Touareg? Even my father's Lexus LX isn't that much for maintenance (actually has the same engine)

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, from asking others with a Treg, the consensus is the same, most pay over $100, some well over $100. My new Audi A4 Cabriolet (which actually cost less than the Treg) comes with FREE scheduled maintenance. I guess VW feels that $46,000 + for a Treg isn't enough profit for them. It's a rip off and they know it. I was actually told by my dealer (Jack Ingram Motors, Montgomery, Alabama) that the real profit was in the service department. How true. It is unfortunate that things such as outrageous service prices are driving the resale values of our Touaregs down rapidly.

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I don't think I would want a $23 oil change. How quickly would a tech have to work to make the $60 to $80/hour that a dealer looks for to cover his labor and overhead costs? How low quality would the oil and filter have to be? How many quarts of oil does your 4.7 V8 hold? I'll bet they try to sell you every other service under the sun when you go in for a $23 oil change too, just like Jiffy-Lube.

As for the Audi "free maintenance", it is a nice thing but certainly it is built into the price of the car. Nothing is ever "free".

· Registered
2 Posts
6.5 quarts.

Toyota Oil
Toyota Filter

I can bring in my own oil and filter if i wish, and the charges can be deducted from my bill. so it'd be even less than $23.

usually about 15 minutes. (i can also perform an oil change myself in the same amount of time)

plus they do a check of all the major vitals of the car.

No they don't sell me any services I don't need. They do what I tell them to do. They might make suggestions, but the end decision is mine, and i know my truck well.

I find the price very reasonable, and it's cheaper than places like jiffy lube or whatnot.

Why wouldn't you want a $23 oil change?

· Registered
328 Posts
pbm317 said:
Why wouldn't you want a $23 oil change?
Because you get what you pay for. In this case, since it looks like the $23 just about barely covers the oil and filter, that means they're paying the tech, oh I don't know, minimum wage. Minimum wage workers tend to forget to do things. Like refill the engine oil (I've seen enough times that it scares me to go to those 15 minutes oil change places with anything other than a beater).

· Registered
119 Posts
pbm317 said:
6.5 quarts.

usually about 15 minutes. (i can also perform an oil change myself in the same amount of time)
plus they do a check of all the major vitals of the car.
All this in 15 minutes, that has to be "superman"techs I think.
An oil change takes at least 50 min. at my dealer, and they work the full 50 minutes, I always stand aside my car while they are doing there job. If they also have to change the air filter, that's an other 10 minutes as they clean the air compartment also.

Sorry but I wouldn't visit a dealer/car shop like this and have them working on my car, no way.

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I usually spend 15 minutes with the service writer discussing what they will do to my car and it has to take the tech at least 15 minutes just to go out, get the car from the lot, get the parts, then clean up after the job and return the car to the lot. How can the dealer make any money at $23 for an oil change unless they are seriously cutting corners?

· Registered
17 Posts
If you want to save some serious dough, bring your own oil. I bought a case of Mobil 1 synthetic at Costco (plus one additional quart) for about 30 bucks. Dealer charged me another $30 for the filter, shop supplies, labor, etc....

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't really think that $100+ is a fair price, but it is not really an issue of price. Obviously they know we can afford it, we paid top dollar for the Touaregs. The problem comes into play when on every Audi sold (including base model A4 Sedans) comes with free scheduled services for the duration of the warranty. Sure, maybe it is built into the price, but do you really think at $46-$50k, VW couldn't afford to do it for Treg owners as well? I have actually heard of select dealers offering the services free of charge as a selling incentive. We all want whet is best for our Tregs, but a little Audi style consideration would be nice.

· Registered
27 Posts
In 2001 VW service was like audi. Free

When I bought my 2001 VW Jetta Vr6 the warranty at that time was 2 year 24,000 miles. But all maintainance was free. Since 2002 I believe all car are now 4 year 50,000 miles but maintainance is no longer free.

· Registered
71 Posts
The oil change may sound expensive at first, but remember that you do not have to get an oil change as frequently on the vehicle as you would normally. If I had to get an oil change every 3 months at this price I would go bulistic, but since I don't have to get another one for 12 months (if I recall correctly) then it would work out to about $40/quarter.

· Registered
136 Posts
Getting my oil change at the dealer tomorrow for $125. When I had my Audi S4 oil changes outside the standard maintenance window cost ~$80 at the dealer. I guess the question is if and when the Pikes Peak is out will the premium price for the vehicle be worth free oil changes? In my opinion the Touareg is as nice as the Audis I have owned but less expensive regardless of the cost of oil changes.

· Registered
143 Posts
mkadlece said:
The oil change may sound expensive at first, but remember that you do not have to get an oil change as frequently on the vehicle as you would normally. If I had to get an oil change every 3 months at this price I would go bulistic, but since I don't have to get another one for 12 months (if I recall correctly) then it would work out to about $40/quarter.
The owners manual says every 5k miles. :-k

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.