Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's been a while since I last visited this site. I'm at 98,000 miles on my 13 TDI. First I'll say I have contemplated upgrading to a Cayenne over the years but the Touareg has been so reliable and pleasurable to drive that I couldn't bring myself to move on. I primarily use it for road trips these days, as it is ideal for comfortably traveling around the country with my daughter's tennis gear.

I purchased the truck new in 2013 with a 10yr 100K mile warranty. I plan to take it in for service and a final check before the warranty expires. Other than sporadic door lock glitches (cant always unlock doors from driver's switch), and a quick check engine light a couple months ago, there are no other issues I'm aware of. Anything specific I should have checked?

Plan to keep the touareg in the family long term. I've consistently changed the oil and fuel filter. Recently flushed coolant and brake fluid. Should I have trans fluid, diff fluid, or anything else serviced?

Thanks

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,960 Posts
Should I have trans fluid, diff fluid, or anything else serviced?

Thanks
I would say yes to all three of these, although if you go to the dealer they might try to tell you the transmission is either non-serviceable or doesn't need it (sealed for life).
I did the front/rear diffs and transfer case fluids changed before my Treg hit 90k. I convinced the local dealer to do the transmission service @ ~ 99k. The transmission shifted smoother afterwards and I got slightly more mpg gas wise. Figured I'd have 1k to drive it to see if anything got messed up. I'm almost at 102k now and the transmission has been fine.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
The drivers door lock thing... The switch may be dirty inside. Sit and rock the lock and unlock repeatedly like 30 times and that may clean it out

·
Registered
2005 V8
492 Posts
I would say yes to all three of these, although if you go to the dealer they might try to tell you the transmission is either non-serviceable or doesn't need it (sealed for life).
I did the front/rear diffs and transfer case fluids changed before my Treg hit 90k. I convinced the local dealer to do the transmission service @ ~ 99k. The transmission shifted smoother afterwards and I got slightly more mpg gas wise. Figured I'd have 1k to drive it to see if anything got messed up. I'm almost at 102k now and the transmission has been fine.
Agree. Also replace the transmission filter and clean the pan. I have done several drain and fills and resulted in smooth shifting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey guys, it's been a while since I last visited this site. I'm at 98,000 miles on my 13 TDI. First I'll say I have contemplated upgrading to a Cayenne over the years but the Touareg has been so reliable and pleasurable to drive that I couldn't bring myself to move on. I primarily use it for road trips these days, as it is ideal for comfortably traveling around the country with my daughter's tennis gear.

I purchased the truck new in 2013 with a 10yr 100K mile warranty. I plan to take it in for service and a final check before the warranty expires. Other than sporadic door lock glitches (cant always unlock doors from driver's switch), and a quick check engine light a couple months ago, there are no other issues I'm aware of. Anything specific I should have checked?

Plan to keep the touareg in the family long term. I've consistently changed the oil and fuel filter. Recently flushed coolant and brake fluid. Should I have trans fluid, diff fluid, or anything else serviced?

Thanks
Quick thought - Didn't the TDI settlement add some miles to your drivetrain warranty?

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Temp... Valve?

• Haha
Reactions: New2Tregs

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,960 Posts
Maybe Reddog410 means the thermostat??

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Thanks
Yes, do diffs, TC, and transmission fluids. Even if you don't end up keeping it, it will serve it well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts