Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Sept I bought a 2012 TDI Sport with nav, just off the fix from a VW dealer. $17,995 with an added lifetime powertrain warranty (plus of course the 4 year VW fix warranty), new Pirellis, very clean, and 76,773 miles on it. It had only been bought back for the original California owner a few months before that so it didn't sit long.

Now I'm at about 85,600 miles and have a pretty good impression of it. It was the nicest car I have ever driven on the test drive, that and the 4 year warranty on most parts pretty much sold me. I'm not getting anything this nice new, anywhere near $18,000 and most don't even have more than a 3 year warranty. I have driven it day to day, and on long road trips. I'm getting an actual hand calculated 26 mpg based on every gallon I have put in it (best 32 worst 23). I have taken it off road some and it does really well. Complete 2 tires in the air on loose, steep gravel and it just finds the traction and goes. It's the quietest car I have ever even ridden in, just normal conversation between any seat even at 80 mph. I mostly drive it around town.

What I don't like, is the shifting when cold, even to the point of annoying surging holding some stupid gear at 2300 rpm. I have learned to basically manually force every shift all the way to work. It also seems laggy off the line to me. I have a 2010 Hemi Jeep Commander as well and it is a rocket in comparison (Of course gets more like 13 mpg). I will probably add an aftermarket tune after the VW warranty is up and see how that goes.

Problems have been a few, but thankfully all 100% covered by the VW warranty. It's been in 6 times. 5 for check engine lights, and once for oil and fuel filter (that did cost $350). The other 5 times were for injector imbalance that ultimately led to 6 new injectors and a low Adblue pressure which led to a new Adblue pump.

I had plans on lifting it, and adding larger off road tires, but now that I have the Commander, that will be my adventure rig. The Touareg will probably do the tow duty, but hasn't handled our camper yet. The camper sat all this year and now is going on the sales block next spring anyway. It was at the limit of what the Touareg could handle with 600 pounds of hitch weight on a 5000 pound camper. I plan on switching to a smaller popup camper anyway but have used the Touareg to tow a Waverunner which of course it doesn't even notice. We also may move out to the country which will make my commute 10 times longer so the economy will really pay off day to day. We are in the mountains of western Montana so AWD is pretty much required when you have to make it to work every day before the plows are out. 26 mpg beats my sister's little Rav4 and diesel is currently less per gallon than unleaded.

Basically thumbs up from me for now, as long as the warranty keeps paying, or the problems slow down.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
For the sluggish performance off the line you should do a transmission relearn reset. I bet that was never done when you bought it and that will make a huge difference.

what are you talking about 500 lb hitch weight and 5,000 lb trailer weight being near the maximum for the car? The Touareg is rated to 800 lb hitch weight and 1200 lb hitch weight with a weight distribution hitch, and 8000 lb tow capacity... You are nowhere near maxing it out

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my factory hitch says 616 max pounds on it and something about a really short distance to the ball which I'm over. Not to mention using a bigger ball than supposedly allowed. Sure I do think I could go 800 pounds but that also leaves you with no payload as I'm 250. It's nice when the wife and kids can come along too.
How do you relearn the shifting? Seems like after a year of me driving it it shouldn't keep doing it. Also I hear 100 other complaints about the same thing after the dieselgate fix.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Not sure where you got 616lb from but that is inaccurate.

The transmission relearn procedure is done via vagcom and makes a huge difference. My fixed toaureg (granted, not stock) shifts like a dream, absolutely love it

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
That's not a genuine towbar.
Actually, it is a genuine towbar, exactly the same label and part number as mine is (for North American market specification), and it was put on at the factory for me. You must recognize that the Hersbird is in the NA market, and you are in a different market with different regulations and standards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, land of the lawyers, I remember my made in Japan Forester having significantly different ratings than the exact same car made at the exact same factory but sold in say South Africa.

I agree non-fixed TDIs don't behave like that, but a big part of the fix is increasing the RPM during warmup to light off the emissions faster. The fix sucks, but the new warranty is great. They have done probably $5000 worth of work on a 80,000 mile car for free.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
There are two (or three) options for dealing with the VW Transmission shift points.

Firstly, do what is called a “transmission relearn procedure”, This works on all late model VW or Audi vehicles.;
1. Turn the key (ign) on, but don’t start the engine.
2. move the gear shifter from park to drive (if possible, it’s not possible in all vehicles)
3. Press gas (throttle) pedal all the way to the floor, firmly.
4. Hold the gas pedal down for at least 30 seconds.
5. While still holding the gas pedal down, move shifter back to park (if it was possible to move it initially).
6 . Turn the key (ign) off.
7. Open and shut drivers door to power down the vehicle.
You have now reset the transmission operation to original factory specs.

Secondly, if the previous relearn does’nt satisfy your needs, either obtain a pre-fix transmission Control module and install it (they occasionally can be had from wrecks, check the vehicle vin against the VW website to see it it went through the emissions fix), or have your TCM re-programmed (one our members here on CT does this).

They’re a great vehicle, good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Correct, hasn't seen on of those on VW's before, my mistake. Sucks you guys don't get the full tow capacity.
In fact they do, if you convert what's shown in the pic into kgs you get 280kg/3500kg.....you have something different?
BTW, Westfalia have been making the OEM tow bars for the Touareg since the first model was released in 2003-4.

TonyB

·
Registered
2012 180TDI
92 Posts
In fact they do, if you convert what's shown in the pic into kgs you get 280kg/3500kg.....you have something different?
BTW, Westfalia have been making the OEM tow bars for the Touareg since the first model was released in 2003-4.

TonyB
Yes, I have 350kg ball weight. Yes, I acknowledged above that I was incorrect, not clever of me to assume.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts