Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well past the teething issues with my 2011 hybrid, the one major disappointment I have is the amount of interior rattles that plague this vehicle. Seems that as soon as I fix one, two more pop up.

After fixing the passenger kick panel rattle I seem to have another which I suspect is coming from the plastic shroud around the front passenger seat control. Additionally, it looks like the plastic around the passenger light in the cargo area is rattling. So annoying.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
945 Posts
I found two very hard to locate rattle/squeaks in mine.

1) Passenger door near the speaker surround and the dash side paneling. Making contact. Used a file, Dremel, to take plastic material off and that noise has been banished for over a year now. It won't come back. I chalk it up to poor fit of panels.

2) Much harder to locate. The passenger side center vent. There is an electrical contact switch inside of each vent to detect if it has been closed all the way. Something in that vent area was making a ticking noise that made me crazy. If I pressed on the passenger side trim in the dash (on my Touareg it's silver plastic) the tick would almost always disappear. But when released, it would come back.

After removing the entire plastic trim using a trim tool, I had to unscrew three Torx screws to release the vent panel then use the trim tool to pop it out. There was an electrical connector in each vent, and by tapping them I could duplicate the noise. I fiddled with the vents and also made adjustments to the foam ring used as a gasket for the vents and the supply tubes.

After reassembly the noise has been gone for weeks now.

The best way to track a noise, is to remove ONE thing at a time, and drive it. If the noise is still there, remove the next piece. It could take a week or two of driving , but eventually you'll find the component making the noise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts