Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yea here is where we are

QTM has given up on fixing it and said buy it back.

Retention has declared it fixed and offered me 10% off a new car.

Back at the dealer for repairs. Since they are not buying it back.

· Registered
82 Posts
Any updates? Mine has 55k and has a misfire/ hesitation under load. Dealer cleaned the valves, plugs and coils, Maf sensor. it's really annoying when your brothers 12 year old Hyundai runs smoother than a 56k dollar truck! I should have stuck with BMW also

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Any updates? Mine has 55k and has a misfire/ hesitation under load. Dealer cleaned the valves, plugs and coils, Maf sensor. it's really annoying when your brothers 12 year old Hyundai runs smoother than a 56k dollar truck! I should have stuck with BMW also
Sorry for the delay. VWNA bought it back from me for $58,000 dollars and crushed the truck. No Cure. I am happy and back at BMW.

· Registered
1 Posts
Can you please let us know who you dealt with at VWNA? I have a 2016 Exec with a cold start misfire of 1/3/5 and feel as though I am about go down this same rabbit hole. The dealer has already recited a bunch of the things in your first note about gas quality and carbon build up etc. Unlike the 2015, VW actually recommends 87 for the car so it is fairly impossible for someone to even put a lesser grade in and I only use Top Tier fuel.

· Registered
8 Posts
2017 exec with cold start misfire here.
It went in 5 times probably by now. Same as op here. They said I was buying bad gas. Then they said a coil was bad. Then they said pcv valve was leaking. When I read the first post here I was thinking I had written it myself. It’s been a year solid of in and out of dealership and no answer. It sometimes shakes so violently you shut it off. CEL is on almost full time now.

Just left dealership with it again. Light still on. They said they have no fix and that is some sort of “VTA” and that vw is working in a fix. He said maybe it would be a recall but didn’t know. I asked if it would be weeks Or months. Again he didn’t know. He just said if the light starts flashing bring it back. Other than that this is our life now. It’s such a nice vehicle and loathe driving it everyday.

We live in Canada btw.

· Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2016 VR6 Touareg, i experienced the same issue back to April this year when car reached 72000 km, cold start the car inside my garage, engine shaking, RPM went up and down, up and down , felt the car was hesitating to start. then the engine light on. Brought back to dealership, been told misfire in cylinder 2, so swap the ignition coil between cylinder 1 and 2. Now the car reached 88000 km, did my 90k maintenance last month. Few days ago the same issue back again, rpm went up and down , up and down, car shaking and hesitating to got start with engine light on. I bought the car brand new back to end of 2015, i did all my services at the dealership. I live in Canada too.
Went back to Dealership on Monday, P03000 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected. (Cylinder 1, 2,3,5) + P125000 Fuel Level too Low. Dealer told me because weather is too cold, and i always wait fuel level too low to full up the gas. And VW will issue an software update to solve the issue. The following is the comment from the dealership: CHECK FOR MIL LIGHT ON APPLY ODIS SEVERAL DTCRADOM MIS FIRES IN CYLINDERS, P125 LOW FUEL INDICATER, TROUBLESHOT TRACE, CLEAR DTC ROAD TEST, RECOMMEND NOT GOING LOW ON FUEL AND VW WILL BE COMING OUT FOR SOFTWARE UPDATE ON MISFIRES WHEN COLD, ROAD TESTED VEHICLE AND FOUND NO FAULTS.
I used to park my car on my driveway winter times the pas few years never experienced issues, this year i parked my car inside my garage during winter so the temperature will always above 5 Degree. And i always filled up the 91 grade gas when fuel light on and never saw keep fuel tank always more than quarter which is 25 L. Since this generation was lunched back to 2010 and stopped at 2018. If this is the problem with software, hard to believe there is no software update during the past 8 years.

· Registered
8 Posts
They told me all the same stuff. Yet it does it even if it’s warm in the summer and we’ve never even seen the gas light come on. Always kept 91+ fuel in it. My dealership is done on it and said theirs nothing else they can do. I’ve been calling almost every week for months now to vw Canada and they keep telling me they are working on a software fix which they’ve apparently been working on for over a year. I think they are lying and nothing is being done. They refuse to tell me how it’s going or any kind of timeline. Mine only has 28,000km on it. I sent a bunch of videos of the insane rpm hunting at startup to the vw Facebook and someone from the relations team in Ajax said they’d get back to be but nothing yet. This is the worst customer service experience I’ve ever dealt with. They claim it’s only me and they don’t have any other touaregs that have this issue. Yet someone at the dealership told me they have multiple owners in my city that have this issue alone. So it’s gotta be a wider issue. They refuse to buy it back and one lady on the phone even said their are no lemon laws in Canada after I said I think I need to get a lawyer; ya fortunately for you, crooks. We need to get a bunch of people and do a class action in Canada or something. I’m worried that this is causing engine damage. The violent shaking can’t be good for the engine components, engine mounts etc. I want to dump this lemon and never touch a vw again but I’d lose a fortune in its current state.
I believe it’s something mechanical that’s wrong. Cracked piston ring or something, but I’ve doubt they’ve done any kind of leak down tests. Half the time I call them I have to hang up because I start to lose my cool, been over a year.

· Registered
12 Posts
They told me all the same stuff. Yet it does it even if it’s warm in the summer and we’ve never even seen the gas light come on. Always kept 91+ fuel in it. My dealership is done on it and said theirs nothing else they can do. I’ve been calling almost every week for months now to vw Canada and they keep telling me they are working on a software fix which they’ve apparently been working on for over a year. I think they are lying and nothing is being done. They refuse to tell me how it’s going or any kind of timeline. Mine only has 28,000km on it. I sent a bunch of videos of the insane rpm hunting at startup to the vw Facebook and someone from the relations team in Ajax said they’d get back to be but nothing yet. This is the worst customer service experience I’ve ever dealt with. They claim it’s only me and they don’t have any other touaregs that have this issue. Yet someone at the dealership told me they have multiple owners in my city that have this issue alone. So it’s gotta be a wider issue. They refuse to buy it back and one lady on the phone even said their are no lemon laws in Canada after I said I think I need to get a lawyer; ya fortunately for you, crooks. We need to get a bunch of people and do a class action in Canada or something. I’m worried that this is causing engine damage. The violent shaking can’t be good for the engine components, engine mounts etc. I want to dump this lemon and never touch a vw again but I’d lose a fortune in its current state.
I believe it’s something mechanical that’s wrong. Cracked piston ring or something, but I’ve doubt they’ve done any kind of leak down tests. Half the time I call them I have to hang up because I start to lose my cool, been over a year.
That's very sad, I never experienced this issue before 70,000 KM, everything works good from 2016-2018. The first time i experienced this is in April 2019 After service.Maybe they did something to the software? May be there is also an emission scandal related to VR6 3.6. This engine is only for sale in States and Canada . 3.0T Gas engine is for sale in Europe and Asian Countries.

· Registered
18 Posts
That's very sad, I never experienced this issue before 70,000 KM, everything works good from 2016-2018. The first time i experienced this is in April 2019 After service.Maybe they did something to the software? May be there is also an emission scandal related to VR6 3.6. This engine is only for sale in States and Canada . 3.0T Gas engine is for sale in Europe and Asian Countries.
Very interesting. I am in Ontario and have been fighting with VW Canada on this very issue since Sept. 2018! My Touareg has been at the dealer 6 times for a total of exactly 100 days. The excuses from VW Canada keep getting recycled - we know there’s an issue and we’re working on a fix - this is normal for this engine - you need to let the engine warm up (all the time it is sputtering and misfiring withe the revs jumping all over the place and periodically stalling) and my all time favourite.......Touaregs start on a high idle!!
I have started the CAMVAP process and will see where that goes.
Having lived and studied this to death for the past 16 months I am pretty sure this problem arose in 2016 when ‘Dieselgate’ happened and they reprogrammed the ECU to run on regular gas - prior to 2016 they called for premium. Fuel costs became a big issue when they could no longer sell diesels.
My information suggests that re-programming is not that simple - they have to get regulatory approval In North America and that is not simple after Dieselgate. There are not that many VR6 Touaregs out there so they choose to deflect and take the heat from those few owners until warranties expire.
Interestingly, it was obvious to me that the dealer could not spend a nickel on my car until VW Canada approved. From the ridiculous suggestions VW Canada came up with it is obvious that they have no technical expertise on staff - just ‘talking heads’ if you will! It was also obvious that the dealership was frustrated with them too.

· Registered
8 Posts
Very interesting. I am in Ontario and have been fighting with VW Canada on this very issue since Sept. 2018! My Touareg has been at the dealer 6 times for a total of exactly 100 days. The excuses from VW Canada keep getting recycled - we know there’s an issue and we’re working on a fix - this is normal for this engine - you need to let the engine warm up (all the time it is sputtering and misfiring withe the revs jumping all over the place and periodically stalling) and my all time favourite.......Touaregs start on a high idle!!
Having lived and studied this to death for the past 16 months I am pretty sure this problem arose in 2016 when ‘Dieselgate’ happened and they reprogrammed the ECU to run on regular gas - prior to 2016 they called for premium. Fuel costs became a big issue when they could no longer sell diesels.
My information suggests that re-programming is not that simple - they have to get regulatory approval In North America and that is not simple after Dieselgate. There are not that many VR6 Touaregs out there so they choose to deflect and take the heat from those few owners until warranties expire.
Interestingly, it was obvious to me that the dealer could not spend a nickel on my car until VW Canada approved. From the ridiculous suggestions VW Canada came up with it is obvious that they have no technical expertise on staff - just ‘talking heads’ if you will! It was also obvious that the dealership was frustrated with them too.
Hey, thanks for writing. I’m looking into camvap too but haven’t started yet.
someone from corporate contacted me weeks ago and said they were gonna get the vehicle from me and sort this out, then no more contact again.
could you pm me? Maybe we can discuss via email or text further and help each other out.
thanks!!

· Registered
12 Posts
That is really make sense, finally tired of this issues and traded my Touareg last week for other brand. Totally dislike the attitude from the dealership, spend over 3500 dollar on five star plus extended warranty and seems totally useless.

· Registered
8 Posts
That is really make sense, finally tired of this issues and traded my Touareg last week for other brand. Totally dislike the attitude from the dealership, spend over 3500 dollar on five star plus extended warranty and seems totally useless.
You were able to trade it in running like ****? Mine barely starts and shakes aggressive and the check engine light is always on and sometimes flashing. I can’t imagine anyone would accept it in a deal?

· Registered
12 Posts
You were able to trade it in running like ****? Mine barely starts and shakes aggressive and the check engine light is always on and sometimes flashing. I can’t imagine anyone would accept it in a deal?
My runs fine, I would suggest you put some STP oil additives when you fill the gas. Try to put high grade gas like 94.My runs fine, only sometimes when you cold start in the morning might misfire. I talked a lot owners, same issues for everyone.

· Registered
8 Posts
We tried ones given to us by vw, I’m not adding anything outside what they say so they don’t have a leg to stand on. No vehicle should need additives and 94 octane just to be able to idle. We have always ran shell 91 octane since new, also recommended by vw when issues arose but we had already been doing that anyways.

· Registered
18 Posts
My runs fine, I would suggest you put some STP oil additives when you fill the gas. Try to put high grade gas like 94.My runs fine, only sometimes when you cold start in the morning might misfire. I talked a lot owners, same issues for everyone.
Forgive me if I’m missing something, but I thought you said you traded yours?

· Registered
18 Posts
We tried ones given to us by vw, I’m not adding anything outside what they say so they don’t have a leg to stand on. No vehicle should need additives and 94 octane just to be able to idle. We have always ran shell 91 octane since new, also recommended by vw when issues arose but we had already been doing that anyways.
New to this forum. Not sure how to contact you directly!

· Registered
12 Posts
Maybe traded in for Q7? Huge discount on 2019 models. Touareg is a nice car however this misfire issue is really frustrating.

· Registered
3 Posts
I live in Alberta, Canada and I got a 2016 VR6. I have experienced this misfire nightmare for over 2 years. I visited the dealer at least 10 times for the same issue. Shaking like it's going to explode when cold start. They don't have any solution except oil change and spark plugs. The service manager told me it's a software issue and the fix is coming. They told me that 2 years ago. Apparently this issue is widely spread out in the 2016 and 2017 models. Not sure if the switch to regular gas is the root cause. It's a very frustrating issue. Another thing is that gas will get into the engine oil which causes engine oil level to rise. This definitely gives a big question mark for the reliability of the engine. Remember some dealers are suggesting a 16000kms oil change interval. With this issue, I recommend cut the interval in half. Every time I go to dealership for a oil change, they told me that engine oil has a strong gas smell.

A quick trick to foul yourself is that giving a little bit of gas when cold start the engine. Rev up to 2000 for 10 secs and release the gas. The shaking will be gone but that is not a fix. I just don't want to see the check engine light so I have to do this. But the wife does not usually remember so she usually trigger the CEL a lot more easily lol. I don't think VW is going to fix this due to the small volume of the VR6 sold and we don't have a lemon law in Canada. I'm not sure what to do once the warranty is out. It hurts my brain to think about it.

· Registered
18 Posts
I live in Alberta, Canada and I got a 2016 VR6. I have experienced this misfire nightmare for over 2 years. I visited the dealer at least 10 times for the same issue. Shaking like it's going to explode when cold start. They don't have any solution except oil change and spark plugs. The service manager told me it's a software issue and the fix is coming. They told me that 2 years ago. Apparently this issue is widely spread out in the 2016 and 2017 models. Not sure if the switch to regular gas is the root cause. It's a very frustrating issue. Another thing is that gas will get into the engine oil which causes engine oil level to rise. This definitely gives a big question mark for the reliability of the engine. Remember some dealers are suggesting a 16000kms oil change interval. With this issue, I recommend cut the interval in half. Every time I go to dealership for a oil change, they told me that engine oil has a strong gas smell.

A quick trick to foul yourself is that giving a little bit of gas when cold start the engine. Rev up to 2000 for 10 secs and release the gas. The shaking will be gone but that is not a fix. I just don't want to see the check engine light so I have to do this. But the wife does not usually remember so she usually trigger the CEL a lot more easily lol. I don't think VW is going to fix this due to the small volume of the VR6 sold and we don't have a lemon law in Canada. I'm not sure what to do once the warranty is out. It hurts my brain to think about it.
I suggest you start the CAMVAP process. Go to their website, fairly straightforward process. There are not many other options when dealing with people like VW. Very good documentary on Netflix called Dirty Money. One of the episodes deals with VW Dieselgate - amazing how crooked large corporations can be!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.