Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks -

I replaced my sunroof glass seal recently (minor PITA) because it was tearing apart a bit in the back. Thought to check out the sunroof drains after I completed cleaning the cowl drains per the DYI.

Driver side front sunroof drains perfectly - if I pour lots of water it'll back up but then quickly drain out the water. The passenger side front drain will fill up and stop visibly draining - but slowly drain, a couple ounces over say 10 minutes. Not good.

The passenger side drains into the same orifice as the cowl which has some electrical things in the way. I felt up in that drain and couldn't feel where the sunroof drain exits - I think per the diagram it is higher than I can reach. Both drains take the same amount of weed-wacker line until it won't go any further. See the diagram, the line probably can't make it past the 90 degree angle. So I think the line is plugged basically at the end. How the heck can I get to it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I believe we are referring to the same drain. The water that runs off the windshield drains to a hole behind the finder liner. I previously had cleaned that out, finding moderate build up but plenty of flow for any amount of water I poured on the windshield. When testing the sunroof drains I observed those draining via the same hole.

Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I can tell you how I have seen some repair it...

1. Put compressed air into the clogged drain to blast out the clog.
2. Later realize that the drain line is draining, but the line had a factory splice in it and your compressed air disconnected the line somewhere inside the car.
3. Remove the soaked interior parts and set the out to dry while you remove more trim to dig out the entire line.
4. Manually clean out the bottom of the line, reconnect the splice in the middle and double check that it is connected tight.
5. Put everything back.

Now I personally think I would try a smaller line to see if I had any look feeding that through the entire drain line.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My passenger side front floor started collecting water a week ago. I knew my drains have been clogged for a while but I only had a little water come in once around the overhead lights. I had the dealer clean the drains and they said only the driver side was clogged. I think parking with the nose down a hill makes the drainage worse. This weekend it started to rain again but now I could tell where the water was coming in from. The a-pillar cloth was wet about 2" above the fuse panel cover and the water was dripping down the kick panel. I was thinking that the door seals might have been the issue, but the more I read about other situations, the more I think it is still the drain line.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The passenger side drains into the same orifice as the cowl which has some electrical things in the way. I felt up in that drain and couldn't feel where the sunroof drain exits - I think per the diagram it is higher than I can reach. Both drains take the same amount of weed-wacker line until it won't go any further. See the diagram, the line probably can't make it past the 90 degree angle. So I think the line is plugged basically at the end. How the heck can I get to it?
I used a 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD (clear) vinyl hose bought at the hardware store and inserted it from the top to the elbow and when removing you can check if the end is dirty or not. You can also use that same hose with compressed air or run water through it to clear.
But you may have blockage at the bulkhead/plenum drains. I would remove the rubber "snorkel" or whatever it's called, and leave it out. Since I removed mine I haven't had any issues in that location.

Good luck

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
564 Posts
My passenger side front floor started collecting water a week ago. I knew my drains have been clogged for a while but I only had a little water come in once around the overhead lights. I had the dealer clean the drains and they said only the driver side was clogged. I think parking with the nose down a hill makes the drainage worse. This weekend it started to rain again but now I could tell where the water was coming in from. The a-pillar cloth was wet about 2" above the fuse panel cover and the water was dripping down the kick panel. I was thinking that the door seals might have been the issue, but the more I read about other situations, the more I think it is still the drain line.

Any opinions?
The sunroof has a hard male drain connector at four corners. The drain lines in the front run down the pillars to the bulkhead. The drain lines have a female coupler that connects to the mail connectors. After a period of time water will drip from between the hose and the female coupler and then run down the hose and usually drip down the kick panel. I stopped my leaks by gorilla gluing the hose and the female connector. Also gorilla glued the female coupler to the rigid drain connector. No more leaks. Regular Maintenance of the outlet in the wheel well will also prevent clogs

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
848 Posts
I can't remember if I did this on one of my Touaregs or another car but I used heavy duty 5 star weed trimmer line in the drain hole....cut the end of the line and inserted it in a drill..SLOWLY turned the line with the drill while flushing the drain hose with water. This worked for me. Your results may differ.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used a 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD (clear) vinyl hose bought at the hardware store and inserted it from the top to the elbow and when removing you can check if the end is dirty or not. You can also use that same hose with compressed air or run water through it to clear.
But you may have blockage at the bulkhead/plenum drains. I would remove the rubber "snorkel" or whatever it's called, and leave it out. Since I removed mine I haven't had any issues in that location.

Good luck
Hello Hans,

I have the same problem as NebraskaT, only on the drivers side though. A couple of days ago I had tried to clean the drain with a thin steel cable from a local yacht accessories store. I could insert a good 4 to 5 foot in length until it stopped. I was twisting the wire carefully but with no success.

However, I was noticing that water was standing in the drain line. Tomorrow I will try your idea. However, is there no way to access the exit of the left side sunroof drain? Ofc I did open the cowl behind the inliner which in general was a good solution. But it had unfort no influence on the clogged sunroof drain.

Thanks Thomas

ps. I like your vehicle combo. :wink2: I still have a 96 C4S stored in Germany. Unfort I cannot used it here. The roads are too bad. In comparison to the Treg a wonderful simple, very clever engineered and analog sports car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hello Hans,

I have the same problem as NebraskaT, only on the drivers side though. A couple of days ago I had tried to clean the drain with a thin steel cable from a local yacht accessories store. I could insert a good 4 to 5 foot in length until it stopped. I was twisting the wire carefully but with no success.

However, I was noticing that water was standing in the drain line. Tomorrow I will try your idea. However, is there no way to access the exit of the left side sunroof drain? Ofc I did open the cowl behind the inliner which in general was a good solution. But it had unfort no influence on the clogged sunroof drain.

Thanks Thomas

ps. I like your vehicle combo. :wink2: I still have a 96 C4S stored in Germany. Unfort I cannot used it here. The roads are too bad. In comparison to the Treg a wonderful simple, very clever engineered and analog sports car.
Thomas, spreek je Nederlands?:wink2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Hans, goedenavond!

Unfortunately not. I am of northern German origin and came for some time regularly to
Zuid Limburg. Meestrich.

Since 5 years living in St. Maarten. Where I can get around with speaking English.

Grutjes
Thomas

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hello Hans, goedenavond!

Unfortunately not. I am of northern German origin and came for some time regularly to
Zuid Limburg. Meestrich.

Since 5 years living in St. Maarten. Where I can get around with speaking English.

Grutjes
Thomas
Good luck with trouble shooting the drain issue Thomas.

I sent you a PM with pic.

Cheers,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts