Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. New to the forum and new to vw's. Just picked up our 09 touareg 3.0 tdi 3 days ago and have been really excited until last night. On the way home we were climbing a hill and gave it some good throttle when an "oil pressure high, max rpm 2500" warning came on. I've found a few threads on here about this issue but can't seem to figure out which of the oil pressure sensors is suspect and where it is located. I have ordered both sensors but still dont know which to change. Has anyone done these and had good success? Anyway, thanks in advance and I'm still loving being a vw owner. Just hope i can get her fixed. Im a german diesel technician but only on Mercedes and Cummins so I'm not scared of doing repairs, this is just a whole new beast to me. Cheers!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
brobb

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any knowledge with the oil sensor you speak of but just wanted to say I own the very same year TDI in white and its been a good vehicle. Mine is malone tuned...But its been a solid rig. Hopefully your problem will be an easy fix. It should be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome brobb!! I can tell we got a solid rig. I absolutely love it. Just every vehicle has its issues and i know that. Once i get this one figured out I'll let you know what i found. Otherwise, very happy with this girl..

·
Registered
452 Posts
Depending on engine code, they're either to the right of the crank pulley, or threaded into the left side of the oil filter assembly base. They should be single wire senders. Verify that you have correct engine oil pressure with a gauge. You should have a minimum of 12psi at hot idle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont have a scanner yet. So far all i know is its a high pressure fault vs low pressure. Ive found both sensors on the engine but dont know which is what. From what i know, one is a reduced pressure sensor and the other is just a pressure sensor. Im leaning toward the one by the crank pulley being the culprit. Id like to just swap the sensor before going through the hassle of hooking up a gauge. I strongly doubt its an actual pressure issue since that doesn't seem to be a common problem and the engine doesn't display high oil pressure symptoms. Do you know which or is high and low? I'm pretty sure the lower one is high pressure since its near the pump and the upper is low since its on the inlet of the module

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you have the two senders threaded into the oil filter housing, the bottom one (#4) is the main sender, and the top (#6) is the reduced pressure sender.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks! Nice diagram. I only find one sensor on the housing. I believe the other is next to the crank pulley. Any idea which one is responsible for high oil pressure reading?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey thanks! Nice diagram. I only find one sensor on the housing. I believe the other is next to the crank pulley. Any idea which one is responsible for high oil pressure reading?
High pressure switch (F22) will be the one beside the crank pulley.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome thanks! Ill give that a try. Hopefully the parts store gives me the right one. They dont seem to know which does what

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all! That was exactly what i needed. Finally replaced the high pressure oil switch next to the crank pulley and the problem has gone away (so far). Pulled it up a hill today at full throttle multiple times with no fault. Guess these sensors are just prone to failure. My belief is that the screen mesh on them allows soot build up in the sonsor and causes poor pressure readings. Just my hypothesis. But so far all is good. Thanks again. Will update if any further issues occur. Cheers!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
3 Participants
Jogli1
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing