Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what valve or breather may be to cause of this oil spray/dirt on the right (passenger side USA) near the year of the VR6. I have two photos with the first and the red box showing the general area and the 2nd photo showing a close of the dirty area.

thoughts?

Still trying to get used to Elsawin and Vw terrible images of repair areas snd trying to sort out what I may be looking at!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
593 Posts
I am wondering what valve or breather may be to cause of this oil spray/dirt on the right (passenger side USA) near the year of the VR6. I have two photos with the first and the red box showing the general area and the 2nd photo showing a close of the dirty area.

thoughts?

Still trying to get used to Elsawin and Vw terrible images of repair areas snd trying to sort out what I may be looking at!
More than likely evaporative emissions associated with the PCV. Older vr6 had the PCV mounted on top of the intake in front of the throttle body. This looks like the gunk you would find in the PCV hose connected to the centrifuge on the back of the block that turns emissions back into oil drops.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your time. See your posts somewhere else mentioning centrifuge...seems you are the only who knows about these on whole of the internets!! Will have a look. Beginning to think I bought a vehicle with a bit less knowledge about then most Vw I had in the past! Really can find little info on it.

Any chance anyone can tell me where to find stuff in ElsaWin? Simply cannot find it under emissions...I'm sure Vw calls it soemthing else.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
593 Posts
Thanks for your time. See your posts somewhere else mentioning centrifuge...seems you are the only who knows about these on whole of the internets!! Will have a look. Beginning to think I bought a vehicle with a bit less knowledge about then most Vw I had in the past! Really can find little info on it.

Any chance anyone can tell me where to find stuff in ElsaWin? Simply cannot find it under emissions...I'm sure Vw calls it soemthing else.
Vw calls it a cyclone oil separator. In your first photo it is partially shown top right hand corner. I can see a hose connection which is usually from the PCV, and an electrical plug probably for the PCV. Bet the hose with oil connects in some manner to the PCV and separator.

There is a VW self study book 823603 which can easily be found as a PDF file online for the vr6 engine (3.2l and 3.6l FSI) however the 2004/2005 engine it is slightly different than a 2008 engine. Maybe there is one for the 2008 engine. If not the engine has not changed a lot and can still get value from the self study guide.

From your photos I see a lot similar to my vr6 however the intake manifold is different as is the PCV location. The throttle body location is identical as is the oil separator right above the timing chains which unfortunately are against the firewall. Engine was designed to be mounted transversely versus inline as installed in the touareg. Maybe the revised design of the PCV reduces build up around the throttle valve in the throttle body. Not certain, could just be a matter of different pollution control standards depending on country.

Maybe not a big deal. I would clean off the oil build up and see how long it takes to re- appear. Maybe PCV is not completely up to snuff and should be checked. Generally there should not be oil build up at the location. Pretty certain it is from emissive gases versus an oil leak just from appearance.

Try to search the forum for your model year and engine, certain others may have similar conditions, or have had them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...love those study guides. So much better then the terrible drawings in ElsaWin. Those departments need to work together better!

I'm quite sure your comments on the typic PVC blow buy is solid. I guess it's what I wanted as I was expecting more comments on this being a systemic problem "X" that should be fixed ASAP with repair "B". Since I'm not seeing that comment from anyone (or other posts) I think it points to typical old emissions stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts