Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

This issue is very random and I have narrowed it down to it seems to do it only if you use the Treg, then let it rest like going into a store of something, could be 10 minutes, could be an hour.

What happens is it will not start, it will just crank and crank with not so much as a sputter. Sometimes it will take 20 tries before it starts, sometimes I've seen it start then next try. And I can't say for sure if its a time frame that has to be waited, or if it is just a matter of trying. It may also be important to add that it doesn't matter if you use the key or the button. I want to also add I bought a can of starting fluid in hopes that next time it happens I will spray some in the intake and I can at least narrow it down to fuel or ignition, I am guessing ignition. So there were two times recently where it didn't start and I thought I would try spraying the starting fluid in. Wouldn't you know, it started right up. No sputter, just fired up. So I can't say if by coincidence it was going to eventually start anyway or if taking the air cleaner cover off and spraying starting fluid in the air duct jarred something.

For what it's worth I do have a random electrical issues, mostly the radio won't shut off when you open the door after you turn the car off and you have to set the lock button with the fog to turn it off. And the other is during driving the radio will be off and you put it in reverse and it will come on as well as the the backup camera as it should.

Sorry to ramble on. I hope someone can help me.

Thanks
-TJ

·
Registered
186 Posts
you should scan your treg with VCDS and post your results.

Possibly a faulty fuel pump or a faulty CTS can also cause a random "no start" issue
??????

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Engine speed sensor, look it up on how to fix.

TonyB

·
Registered
186 Posts
Please note, only guessing at this point. All we can do without a scan.

CTS= Coolant Temperature Sensor...…..these can go wonky and cause a plethora of un-savory issues, without throwing a CEL.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Known issue and fix for similar symptoms as yours.

TonyB

·
Registered
358 Posts
My money is also on the speed sensor. Mine did the same and started immediately after a cool down period, just to repeat the cycle after driving for 5 minutes. You will find lots of good info posted here about how to replace the sensor. Last but not the least, pay the extra few dollars for a OEM or Bosch sensor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My money is also on the speed sensor. Mine did the same and started immediately after a cool down period, just to repeat the cycle after driving for 5 minutes. You will find lots of good info posted here about how to replace the sensor. Last but not the least, pay the extra few dollars for a OEM or Bosch sensor.
Thanks.

I also had a friend who specializes in imports look at it and he feels the same way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
tjlmbklr
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing