Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to make my 17" rims into mud/snow tires. Looking at 275/70/17's, Mickey Thomson MTZ, Dick Cepek Extreme mud, Cooper SST Pro. I'm pushing the limit here as they are all just above 31.6". I really don't plan on doing any crazy driving,more looking to turn the Reg into a bulldog for the winter. Plan on upgrading the sneakers to 20's in the spring.

Can you guy's give me your thoughts on fit and rubbing before I bite the bullet, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks..........:)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I had Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's on my LandCruiser. A very good all around tire. They were excellent offroad, very good in mud and sand, not too bad in snow, but not great on ice. I had 285/75R16 - so 33". They were pretty loud though. The MTZ's would be even worse.

GoodYear Duratracs are very popular, and look great. Have you considered them?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you really want them to do the job through a snowy/icy/slushy winter, get proper winter tires to avoid being on board a 2.5 ton toboggan.

If you simply want to them because "they look great" then that's pretty pointless as you'll find when your sphincter starts puckering and your armpits prickle with sweat as you start the toboggan run on ice on unsuitable off road tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you could substantiate your reason these may not be snow worthy,I would certainly be more impressed. I'm running a 10" wide tire now, my toboggan handles very well. As far as my sphincter is concerned it hasn't flinched on a downhill at 75 MPH on a bicycle in the Dolomite's. With that said, I asked for some feedback from some kool guy's on here. Obliviously your not, so get some milk and cookies from mommy and go back and listen to you Justin Bieber tunes. Thanks for the great response......

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Justin who?

You asked about winter tires, but listed mud pluggers [all of them good off-roaders].

There are several key elements to a winter tire whose performance on road will surpass chunky off-road tires by offering less noise, better grip, better handling, more comfort and much shorter braking distances.

1. The special compound remains flexible at low temperatures so the tread still works.

2. The tread is designed to trap snow to gain grip on snow.

3. The tread is also designed to cut through slush.

4. There are thousands of tiny sipes on the tread blocks to squeeze ice dry to gain grip on icy roads.

Sorry, must go, Mum's just brought me my hot milk and some cookies too. How nice of you to think of that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your reply. Still up in the air, I only use the car to drive to the train station. Thought it might be fun to dope it up a little. If I go to a -32" tire would I need 1" spacers?
What do you think would be a acceptable tire if I were to Dub it up.

P.S. Glad you enjoyed the cookies

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
x2 on the winter tires.

I've run snow tires (Nokian Hakkapeliittas) and rugged M&S rated AT tires (Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ) and rugged M&S MT tires (BFG Mud Terrain KM2) on the same vehicle (LandCruiser) and found the snow tires were far better in the winter, both on the street and off road, than the off road tires. Unless you do hardcore offroading, stick with some dedicated winter tires. You should be able to find some that are a bit more aggressive looking such as Nokian Vatiiva MT's.

Another option that is quite popular is to buy AT or MT tires and have them siped to make them better in winter. This is still a compromise.

·
Super Moderator
9,745 Posts
Wider is not better in snow. Narrow tires cut through it. Those wide tires will follow every icy rut you encounter. If these are going to be winter rims just get a suitable winter tire for them. I run AT tires all year round, so I make do with that. But they are not the best option for snow.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I would steer clear of spacers. In any case, the main diameter limitation is the actual wheel arch's horizontal length itself.

I couldn't find any 275/70/17 winters to suggest but I did find a few 265/70/17. As suggested, narrower tires cut through snow better than wider ones.

Personally I'd always normally go for a Michelin but see what you think to these.

Do check the overall diameter. I haven't.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=265%2F&ratio=70&diameter=17&rearWidth=255%2F&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&zip-code=

P.S. Send more cookies . . .

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My slightly larger 17" A/T tires (265/65/R17) are my summer (off road) tires and my winter tires are OEM size to allow space for chains if needed in emergency and are proper winter tires Mastercraft Courser MSR. My winter tires are also studded (my state allows this). The A/T wouldn't fare well in ice and compact snow (hard rubber especially at cooler temps. and big block tread will do poorly as you need siping to grip ice and compact snow). That said these would do ok with deep loose snow, but that is it. The Treg with proper snow tires is unstoppable in snow. Every tool for a specific job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All,

Thanks for all your help, I ended up with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 265/70/17. I will let you know how they worked out.
Thank you noobytoogy, I will get you some of my mom's home made oatmeal cookies to you. Why do you say no spacers, I was going to add a 1/2" to clear that bolt.....Thought's

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.