Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 08 Touareg V6, we don't use the parking brake often. It used to take a few pulls on the release lever to get it released. The last time I used it I remember having difficulty getting it released. Yesterday we were out and I thought I should use it based on the incline. When I tried to release it, it would not release. I drove a few feet and pulled the release and stopped and pulled it again and the light went off on the dash. I drove home not thinking about the brake and just now I took it to get gas and can feel the brake is on. The car slows very quickly when you take your foot off the gas.
So this is my wife's car and that is why I don't drive it that much, except with the whole family.
So any ideas on how to release the brake?
She has to drive around 40 km each way tomorrow so I am thinking she may take my second car tomorrow, but it sucks cause it is mother's day and she likes driving her Touareg.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
. So any ideas on how to release the brake?.
This is a common problem. I use the top of my left foot to push the parking brake pedal up while lifting the release tab.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You really should use the parking brake for the purpose for which it is intended every time you park the car.

Otherwise you are relying on a small metal pawl in the gearbox holding a 2.5 ton car and this is NOT a good idea even on what may seem level ground.

The parking brake comprises a separate set of shoes inside a drum that is part of each of the rear discs/rotors.

The friction surface of those drums rusts, probably even more so if you haven't actually been bothering to use the parking brake at all.

They rust because the friction surface is not normally swept by the brake shoes in the way that the brake pads sweep the discs/rotors as the vehicle slows because the parking brake is only normally applied when the vehicle is stationary.

The way to keep the parking brake in good order is to partially apply the parking brake once a month and slowly drive a couple of hundred yards/metres so the shoes are in contact with the drums' friction surfaces. This helps keep the rust at bay.

As above, the parking brake light staying on when you release the brake handle is a well known issue and can be easily fixed in 10 minutes by fitting a new $20 piston to the parking brake pedal.

If you can't be bothered to do that, when you pull the handle out to release the parking brake, wait for two seconds before releasing it back into the dashboard.

If that doesn't work, put, as above, the toe of your left shoe under the pedal to pull it up the fraction of an inch it needs to cancel the light.

If you can't be bothered to do that, look at the pedal and you will see a felt pad. Add another layer and that might fix it.

From the sound of things, you may need to get the rear discs/rotors removed and investigate what has happened inside to the friction surfaces and the parking brake shoes. The discs/rotors and brake shoes may be too far gone and might need replacing along with the brake pads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts