Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appreciate some help, I am attempting to change camshafts with the engine in vehicle...I haven't gotten very far.

It looks like I need to remove the EGR cooler to provide clearance for the tandem pump removal. After researching / looking at the EGR cooler I can't figure out how to remove it? Do I remove the two vertical screws buried underneath the unit or do I split the cooler and that provides better clearance to get to the two vertical screws?

I have worked on this project enough to believe, if I had access to a lift, I would drop the engine...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It comes out easily enough. IIRC the front just sits down on two prongs and the rear is held down by one big bolt in the rear. Get a mirror back there to see it. Do not split.
Now is a good time to soak it in Chem-Dip along with the intake manifolds. I do not recommend using the Harbor Freight degreaser soap. It corrodes.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Sounds like you could use a copy of the Bentley CDRom. Engine Mechanical section 26. May be for sale still. Otherwise it’s an Erwin subscription.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
709 Posts
The pump is behind the valve cover. I removed the valve cover and that was enough room. I don’t see the need to remove on the egr cooler but I only have 2004 V10tdi’s at the current time...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks ... right in front of my nose, literally as I was on top of the engine attempting to see the two 10mm bolts buried under everything. Reminds me how stupid I felt at nineteen when the guys sent me to the crib to get a "rubber shanked drill bit to bore that angled hole".

I'll also try to chase down a Bentley manual, this job is obviously a little over my head.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back again, sorry I missed seeing the comment about the valve cover.

I removed the valve cover but am having a difficult time getting my tools/hands in to remove the far screw holding the tandem pump in place. The two pipes from the EGR cooler mounted in the valley are getting in the way. It looks like the 04 doesn't have the same EGR pipe routing and has more room to get to the rear of the engine?

Again, appreciate everyone's help. It is the kind of advice I never took for granted when I was working and the advice I miss now that I retired last year.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
There are quite a few tandem pump threads on here. Find some more, perhaps in the DIY section?

So the EGR is removed now and the passenger side pipe is still in the way?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
lgibson
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing