Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We went away camping over xmas and just as we got to the beach the AC stopped getting cold.

Had a look as much as i could for leaks.
Checked the fuses.
Got AC gas levels checked and re-(they were fine) gassed just to eliminate that.
We were still out of town and the Bundaberg VW dealer was kind enought to take a quick look.
I had them quickly check it and say its the compressor. It felt notchy and apparently the compressor plate was sheered?

Still to get the vag com cable back from a friend. but has anyone had AC issues in the V6 TDI?
there was issues with some R5's but not much on the v6tdi's.

I just wanted to see if anyone has had problems before as they seem solid.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a similar issue, would only blow hot air, but compressor never kicked on. But just so eliminate all possible variables before swapping a compressor, Mine was due to a temp sensor that got disconnected up in the driver side (left) fire wall area just below the wiper arm. Since mine was a sensor, vag com caught it. It actually came disconnected twice, so even though it felt well-seated, it wasn't. You'll know once you get vag com back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There might also be a leak in the line just behind the left side cooler in front left wheelwell. That is the most usual place for a leak. Ac service machine does not allways even see that leak, but the system is again empty in a day or two. If your system was completely empty, then i suspect a leak. If not totally empty then more likely its the electronics or compressor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's people.

The refrigerant level was checked and definitely alright.

This morning I released the belt and spun the pulley, it had no resistance at all and the centre shaft was not turning at all.
I have a friend with an audi a4 that had ac issues and they have a shaft that sheers to avoid further damage to other things like belts.

Looks like it is the compressor at this stage. I will post how I get on. Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just read this:

SHEAR MADNESS

When a VDC compressor seizes up, a shear pin on the pulley breaks off, allowing it to free spin, no longer locked to the compressor shaft. So, the seized compressor won't destroy the accessory belt, and the shear pin breaking off will prevent shutting the engine down and creating a "walkhome" situation for the vehicle owner. If pin has sheared, you must replace the compressor -- but only after determining what caused it to seize up. Finding the root cause is important for preventing a a quick and unfortunate compressor job comeback. Compressor seizing is generally due to a lack of lubrication, which commonly means a lack of refrigerant charge. Look for a leak other than at the compressor, or an obstruction somewhere in the system preventing the free flow of lubricant.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Most compressors have a clutch that allows it to engage and disengage from the belt. With no power to the compressor clutch, the pulley SHOULD freewheel. With the clutch engages, the pulley should turn the actual shaft of the compressor.

(The old York compressors of days gone by had an external clutch that you could see and physically see it engage. I'm not sure what the new ones look like anymore...)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I have read VW, Audi and alot of German carmarkers use this Variable Drive Compressor that is always running to some capacity. It then drives a swivel plate that has a valve that creates more or less angle on that plate this then controls the amount of refrigerant pumped through the system.
Variable Displacement A/C Compressors

·
Registered
126 Posts
T1 3.0tdi has a variable displacement compressor. Ac service told me that when they filled my touaregs system after i fixed the leak in the line.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah not looking positive at all.
Ill go to the AC guy tomorrow Im sure he will confirm. BTW Does anyone need some body parts??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE:

So the car went into the AC shop Thursday. I had scanned for codes but there was nothing HVAC related.

They confirmed it was the compressor and replaced it with a new aftermarket item. also replaced the receiver dryer and flushed the lines as well as a regas. I went for a drive today and works like a dream.
All up it was $1500.
I'm actually really happy with that seems really reasonable.

Cheers.

And if your in Brisbane it was Stafford Auto Air-Highly recommend the guys.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Glad you got it sorted.
I have had my AC stop blowing cold twice in 6 months due to a refrigerant loss fault logged which then prevents the compressor from turning on. Mine is an '07 V6 tdi too.

In both cases there has infact been no refrigerant loss, it seems to be a sensor fault.
Both times I have cleared the fault with VCDS and it works perfectly again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts