Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a06 v10 tdi at auction ,after putting in $400 of batteries started and had back pressure in right side intake hose, removed valve cover ,appears to have bucket adjusters for ex valves and adjustable rockers for intake valves, and no clearance on intakes not sure how to adjust intaks and what the clearances are info manuals seem to be non exsistant,full of carbon alsobut nothing broke

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
bought a06 v10 tdi at auction ,after putting in $400 of batteries started and had back pressure in right side intake hose, removed valve cover ,appears to have bucket adjusters for ex valves and adjustable rockers for intake valves, and no clearance on intakes not sure how to adjust intaks and what the clearances are info manuals seem to be non exsistant,full of carbon alsobut nothing broke

I am sorry but if you cannot understand what you are looking at, for your own good do not take anythings apart.

Both inlet and exhaust valves have hydraulic compensated bucket lifters and being hydraulic are not adjustable.
The adjustable rocker you see is the fuel injector arm.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
This topic should be labeled "how to kill a v10 in no time"....

OP, not trying to bust your nuts dude, but I would strongly suggest reading a bunch of SSPs and service manuals before diving into the kind of wrenching you're doing.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes I see that,at first thought that it had two exhaust valves ,no need to be rude,if you have info good,as I said there does not seem to be much info on this ,engine,hope it was ok that I took off the valve cover

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't think this engine is being killed,you guy must be real experts and no one else should be allowed to touch these cars,think I will carry on without this help

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You were given good advice by Drag who knows his V10s better than 99.9% of VW technicians worldwide!

You've bought a car with a very complex supercar engine - it's not a vehicle for the faint-hearted, nor DIYers with minimal mechanical skills, nor anyone on a budget.

The engine has been squeezed into a small space too such that for some routine replacements where normally you would unbolt the part, remove it and fit the new item, on the V10 the engine has to be dropped for access.

Since those who have contributed so far have no knowledge of how good you are when let loose with a set of wrenches they've very sensibly - and quite rightly - counselled caution on your behalf so don't get the hump over the responses.

Here's the best thread ever on how to rebuild a V10. Have a look at it and you'll hopefully understand why people have tried to warn you off doing anything on this engine without being certain of what you are looking at and attempting to rectify.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f93/diy-v10-teardown-and-rebuild-repair-of-the-distribution-of-a-touareg-v10-frex-73289.html

For a few euros you can buy an hour of time here, insert your VIN and download everything you need for your specific car.

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do

Read this thread too - it will probably save you money at some stage:

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/10163-buying-a-used-touareg-what-to-look-for/

And do check you car is using EXACTLY the CORRECT engine oil to avoid premature camshaft lobe wear.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
yes I see that,at first thought that it had two exhaust valves ,no need to be rude,if you have info good,as I said there does not seem to be much info on this ,engine,hope it was ok that I took off the valve cover

Was not trying to be rude just cautious.
If you look and download there is plenty of info available.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
don't think this engine is being killed,you guy must be real experts and no one else should be allowed to touch these cars,think I will carry on without this help
See ya SNOWFLAKE ! :grin2:

I was going to respond last night, but I ended up crying myself to sleep over the loss of your friendship instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
TurboABA
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing