Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,366 Posts
Any chance you have any warranty left of that replacement stepper motor?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Nope

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I just tried putting in neutral with vehicle running and switching from high to low. Nothing changed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, it was worth a shot. Did the lights stop blinking? Like I said, I think that may be a key if we only knew what it meant.

What's your plan with the battery now? Still going to take it in?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
No, differential light keeps blinking no matter what I do. Even before I turn over the engine the display shows the failure and the light is blinking.
My plan is to test the battery again tomorrow and Sunday to see if the battery dips below 10v. If it does then yes, I will take the battery over to the dealership and have them load test. I also purchased another stepper motor just in case I have to replace that. If it’s neither of those things then I have no idea what it could be.....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Maybe the repair function desulfated the battery enough to help. What codes do you have now? In your second post you listed several faults that seemed to be low voltage related. Curious to see what remains. Is the differential fault still there? If so, what is the number you get and any P-code it may give.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I cleared the codes again and re ran the test. I keep getting these three.

no alarms for the all wheel drive system now. I did have an error when I first started troubleshooting. Now when I click on the All wheel drive system I get this error and it backs me out to the main screen to look at the status of all the items scanned. I can’t view any details on the al wheel drive system.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I say if you can get a new battery, do that. If that doesn't clear it up, wave the white flag and call in the cavalry. Just seems odd you can't communicate with that module. Could be voltage, could be a dead module. And that could be wiring or the module itself. Timing could be just coincidental, or caused by the bad battery.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I tested today the battery and it was down to 7-8volts at startup of vehicle.
Had to jump through a bunch of hoops before the dealership would agree to do a load test. I finally satisfied their requirements so i will be taking it to them tomorrow to see what they say.

Reactions: C-ya

·
Registered
170 Posts
I tested today the battery and it was down to 7-8volts at startup of vehicle.
Had to jump through a bunch of hoops before the dealership would agree to do a load test. I finally satisfied their requirements so i will be taking it to them tomorrow to see what they say.
Too bad they make it so hard. Shouldn't be that way. Good luck and keep us posted. Are you planning to drive it in?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Had the battery in my Yukon and drove it over. Had to send them photos of the vehicle, vin, mileage and a recent repair receipt showing mileage in before they would do the load test.
Took it in this morning and it failed the load test. Battery was under warranty for 3 years so i got a free replacement and fresh 3 years on the battery. Got back home and put it in the car, turned it on and cleared the codes with OBDEleven. Turned it off and removed the key, then started it back up and it and the high/low differential light is still blinking with a fault on the dashboard. when using OBDeleven it still throws that same error above that it can't communicate with it.
I have the new stepper motor (arrived last night). I noticed i am missing my 8mm and 10mm sockets so i had to purchase some new ones yesterday on Amazon. Should be here today. So i guess the battery is not causing the issue with the stepper motor.

I was wondering if i unplug the one currently installed and simply plug in the new one one without installing it and turn on the car would there be any issues? I am hoping that would at least allow me to view the all wheel drive system in ODBeleven, clear any codes and hopefully stop the light from blinking?

A few other issues that i noticed are were appearing in all my scans are these. i have cleared them but they return each time i scan:

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,002 Posts
The lack of communication isn’t your stepper motor. That’s lack of communication between the CAN gateway and AWD electrics. You either have no power at the AWD module, or bad CAN bus lines. Or a bad AWD module.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Damn. Ok. Is that something i can check or is that send to a shop time?

And what is and where do i find the CAN Gateway and AWD electrics?

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,366 Posts
You have the stepper motor. I see no reason not to install it. They do fail and your symptoms match.

Personally, I would love to see a vcds scan here. We could tell you so much more from that.

You will have steering wheel fault every time the battery power is removed. It is fixed by backing up about 50 feet in a straight line and going back forward 50 feet. Normal driving for a few minutes will also clear it.

Your will also find out that your power windows will not auto close or auto open with the one button push. :sneaky:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Are there any fuses i should check for the CAN and AWS systems/modules?

Found this online about the fuses on the right fuse panel. Would any of these factor into my issue?
75J646 - Transfer box control unit
5 (From November 2007)
J217 - Automatic gearbox control unit

5115J217 - Automatic gearbox control unit

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Yeah, i wish i had a VCDS scan but since I am planning on trading this Touareg in i probably won't spend the $$$ for one scan. Not planning on getting another VW currently otherwise i would purchase it.

I will install the stepper motor to see if anything changes later today.

Good to know about the steering and the fix. And yes, i did notice that the windows auto open/close no longer works currently. Good to know that it should auto correct itself once this thing can actually go in gear and drive in either direction....

What about the headlamp issue? Is that another side effect of removing the battery/power from the car that will auto correct itself with being able to drive?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If you buy VCDS you will be able to sell it afterwards.

If it finds the issues you will have a car that hopefully will be restored to full health and is saleable.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Any specfic VCDS that i should look at?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Any specfic VCDS that i should look at?
I bought the 3 VIN version for my use: VCDS with HEX-V2 Enthusiast | Ross-Tech You should be able to get half or more of your money back even using one VIN. Not sure if there is a reset procedure via Ross Tech.

If you have an adapter (not sure what OBDEleven uses), you could try the VCDS Lite. You can download the software and try it for free, but you can't do everything without the registration fee. VCDS-Lite Software | Ross-Tech Description, capabilities/limitations Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite

ETA: They have a great forum and even a section for non-VCDS owners to ask questions to evaluate if the unit will work for their problem.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts