Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
All fuses are good.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I pulled both plugs off the stepper motor as well and reseated them but still no luck....still stuck in neutral.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I pulled both plugs off the stepper motor as well and reseated them but still no luck....still stuck in neutral.
You need to buy a new battery... Touaregs are very temperamental when the power is low or the battery has died... the HIGH/LOW flickering is a common thing when this happens... my battery died and I had to buy a new one to rectify the fault... hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I went out this morning with the car off and put a multimeter on the battery. It shows 12.49v. i put my NOCO Genius10 Smart Charger on it and it is showing the battery is full. Again, i just bought a new battery last year i believe around September/October 2020. The car battery never died except for this one time since i replaced it.

on the NOCO Genius10 is says it has a option called 12v repair mode. Would this be worth a shot if i disconnect the battery from the vehicle and let it run to possibly repair any sulfation that may have occured? It also has a CAUTION statement in the second photo. I can remove the battery to run this option but I just want to confirm with the experts here?

Finally, If i take it back to the VW dealer that i got it from since it is still under warranty, will they perform a load test on it to determine if the unit is faulty?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
One question i have. If the battery is shot, wouldn't there be some signs when testing the battery with a multimeter? Meaning, is there anyway to tell if the sulfation, etc. has occurred? I have gone out every day since i recharged it fully and it fires right up. After putting the smart charger on it this morning it was fully charged within 5 minutes and went into maintainer mode?

·
Registered
165 Posts
No way to test sulfation with a multimeter. Normal healthy resting battery voltage is about 12.4 to 12.8. You can do a gross load test yourself if your meter has a min/max function. Hook the meter to the battery and start the vehicle. See what the battery voltage dipped to. If it drops below about 10 volts, bad battery.

·
Registered
09 TDi
438 Posts
Almost anyone will do a load test for you are a courtesy but if it's under warranty I'd def take it back and let them test it so they can honor the warranty. Keep in mind warranties have "phases"...either full replacement or prodata. Some have both ie full replacement in the 1st Xmo then prorata for X months.

there's also no harm in running the repair/recondition mode and it could help

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
i don't have a multimeter that has a min/max/avg feature. i just have the Commerical Electric MS2033C from Home Depot.
I will have to do the poor man version and hook it up to the battery and watch the multimeter screen and start the engine to see if dips at/below 10V. Will post back with the results in a little bit.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
When it cranks over i see it dip down to 9.20V.

i have disconnected the battery and am running the smart charger with the repair option. Will retest later today around 5pm. If it still dips below then i will head to the dealership tomorrow to see if they can test and deal with the exchange/warranty process!

·
Registered
165 Posts
That looks like it will fail their load test. I saw a 5 VDC in there, too. You can see when the alternator kicks in and raises the voltage.

Good luck with the warranty!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Damn. Didn’t see that on the first watch! Good catch...

Reactions: C-ya

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Called the Stealership and asked them if they do a complimentary load test on the battery to confirm if it is failing and then the exchange process. It almost felt like no one knows what a car battery is or what do to to help a customer at this place.
i was told yes but i have to schedule a service call. I said why can't you just test the battery quick like they do at AutoZone and other places? Then i was transfered twice to a service advisor. She says oh yeah you need to speak to someone in the parts dept. i said i did. Well then she says i think we need to setup a service call. If the battery is dead you will need to drive the car in for us to exchange it under warranty. I said i can't drive it because my car is stuck in neutral. SMH.........

Still waiting for them to call me back! I will be going with option B tomorrow and just going there and surprising them instead!! I will stop at AutoZone across the street first and have them do a load test first as additional backup...

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,351 Posts
Bad batteries are not much fun. The vehicle electronics are really "sensitive" about low power dips during starting. The battery voltage needs to stay above 10 volts while the starter motor is active.

But they make entertaining threads. :devilish:

·
Registered
165 Posts
@2eregg , gotta love their logic!

BTW, if you have Auto Zone do a load test, it will almost certainly fail theirs! That battery will be like, "WTH, man!"

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It has been entertaining trying all sorts of things!
I redid the test after the repair completed.
here is the video:
06 Touareg after voltage repair with Noco Genesis 10.

it only dips to 9volts this time but still my issue persists. I plugged the battery back in to the car and will leave it overnight with no charger. I am going to rerun the tests tomorrow to see if it gets worse in approximately 12+ hours!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dropping to 9 VDC is not a good sign. It will be interesting to see if it starts without the benefit of the charger overnight.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,351 Posts
Bones, Lt. Battery seems a little sluggish. Do you think he has a cold? Can we give him some vitamins or a little jump start?

And don't ask me about Lt Transfer Case. We don't know anything definate yet.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just tested today and apparently this battery doesn’t want to go down without a fight!

I did it twice. The second time I had the AC on full blast and the radio. I didn’t see it dip below 10 this time. I did bot put a charger on it overnight either.
I ran my OBDeleven again and cleared any codes. Then started the car again but still have the differential fault and still stuck in neutral.

going to leave the battery connected to the vehicle and keep testing this weekend to see if it gets worse. If it holds above 10v then is there anything else to check?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The next time you start it up, just for giggles, put it in N and go from High to Low on the transfer case switch. On another vehicle I have, the transfer case controls what is connected and disconnected and allows for flat-four towing. I know this isn't a mode for Tregs, but maybe it is stuck in limbo. I know you pulled the stepper motor out, but it may need to move to reset itself. The lights flashing on that switch/knob have to mean something. I looked in my manual but it doesn't mention that scenario.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I will do that after work.
I did have the stepper motor replaced back in 2018 as my original one would throw this same error after driving it for some time although it never got stuck in neutral. It would come on randomly. Since I had it replaced, I have had zero issues with it flashing until this happened so I can’t imagine the stepper motor is shot!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts