Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So because of the pandemic i don't really drive my Treg much. It probably sat in my driveway for 2 months since I drive my other car all the time. Last week when I try to start it and the battery was completely dead. i jumped it, drove it around for a little bit then turned off when i got back home. i tried starting it again and the battery was still dead. I put a smart charger on the main battery terminals under the seat, removed the others that connect to the car and let it sit overnight. Today i went out and put it all back together and it fired right up. However, i noticed that the high/low was blinking for some reason even though there was no error on the display. i was still in park, I switched from high to low. The display said i needed to switch to neutral which i did, then all hell broke loose and the H/L fault triggered on my display and now when i put it in R, D, S or manual and the car will not move an inch. I even put it in park and my vehicle which sits on an incline rolls back. i currently have it in P, with the emergency brake and the wheel shims from the trunk to prevent it from rolling into the street.

At this point all i am trying to do is get this working so i can drive to a dealership and trade it in.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this could be and hopefully a quick and easy fix?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So because of the pandemic i don't really drive my Treg much. It probably sat in my driveway for 2 months since I drive my other car all the time. Last week when I try to start it and the battery was completely dead. i jumped it, drove it around for a little bit then turned off when i got back home. i tried starting it again and the battery was still dead. I put a smart charger on the main battery terminals under the seat, removed the others that connect to the car and let it sit overnight. Today i went out and put it all back together and it fired right up. However, i noticed that the high/low was blinking for some reason even though there was no error on the display. i was still in park, I switched from high to low. The display said i needed to switch to neutral which i did, then all hell broke loose and the H/L fault triggered on my display and now when i put it in R, D, S or manual and the car will not move an inch. I even put it in park and my vehicle which sits on an incline rolls back. i currently have it in P, with the emergency brake and the wheel shims from the trunk to prevent it from rolling into the street.

At this point all i am trying to do is get this working so i can drive to a dealership and trade it in.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this could be and hopefully a quick and easy fix?
I hooked up my OBDeleven device and did a scan of my car. Not sure if this is related to the recent update but it says i have 28 errors on my car. Last time i scanned it a few months ago i had zero.

voltage on app showed 13.4 when the car was running. Under All Wheel Drive it says Potentiometer differential fault code 02039 status: intermittent

other issues:
invalid data received from cruise control module: Lower limit not reached fault code: U0405
Brakes: Steering angle sensor: fault code 00778
Central Electrics: Load Management intervention: fault code: 00907
Rain/light recognition sensor: fault code 01520
Airbag - supply low voltage: fault code 00532
dashboard - combination comfort databus in single wire: fault code 00470
Gateway - combination comfort databus in single wire: fault code 00470
Driver Seat - Vehicle voltage terminal 30: fault code 00668
light control left - control module: fault code 00003 and headlights were not adjusted: fault code 01539
trailer control - supply voltage - fault code: 00532
Position Detection - Terminal 30 - fault code: 00926

i checked with my multimeter the voltage with the car off after charging the battery overnight and it said it was at 12v
i turned on the car running but had AC and radio off. and it said the voltage was 14.05v
When i turned on both AC on max and radio, the voltage says 13.95v
i just replaced the battery in 2020 with an OEM battery from a local VW dealership.

·
Registered
09 TDi
438 Posts
the one comment that stands out to me is that when you connected the charger you disconnected everything else...so it sat with no power connection to the vehicle ? That could the problem.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wasn't my first choice to disconnect everything. But the damn alarm kept going off every 10 minutes. Since it took all night to charge i didn't want to have all my neighbors pissed off keeping them up all night. i tried everything i could think of an could not get it to stop. SMH!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is what it does. I can shift through all the gears but it will not go anywhere. As i stated, if i don't use the emergency/parking brake my Touareg will roll down my driveway and into the street.
You will notice in this video, the second time i shift it into park you will hear a grinding noise. Keep in mind the car is stationary and not moving during that noise.

This link will expire in 30 days from 4/6/2021.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
969 Posts
Sounds like the transfercase stepper motor got stuck between high and low range, so essentially neutral. Clear all of your codes and try again. Otherwise you’ll probably need a new transfercase stepper motor.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
stupid question #1, how do i clear all the codes?
Update. Looks like i should be able to clear the codes with OBDeleven. Now i just need to find where.

Stupid question #2, Do you have specific part # for the stepper motor for a 06 Touareg V6 3.2?

Was reading this thread and someone said to clear the Intervention Load Management as that could cause the stepper motor issue. How would i do that. Would disconnecting the battery terminals clear the codes as well or do fault codes only get cleared using software that can scan your car for codes and clear it?

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
969 Posts
Use your obd eleven to clear the codes in all modules.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Use your obd eleven to clear the codes in all modules.
I cleared all the 28 fault codes and rescanned. Now I have 3 codes but none tied to the all wheel drive. However, I turned off the car, removed the key open and closed my driver door and then turned car back on. Sadly, the same issue persists where I cannot move the car as it appears I am still stuck in neutral.

would disconnecting and reconnecting stepper motors possibly do anything? Any other things I can try?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was going to disconnect the stepper motor in hopes it would somehow reset itself if it was stuck between gears. I have located the stepper motor under my car. Based on what i found on the internet it looks like i need a 10mm and 8mm sockets if i need to remove it. Is there some special way or technique i need to follow to disconnect the wiring on the stepper motor?

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,351 Posts
Like many other modern vehicles, the Touareg can NOT be parked and ignored for months on end. All you will end up with is a dead battery.

Your only storage choices are to put the vehicle on a battery maintainer or to unhook the battery negative cable.

Once the battery has been dead for any amount of time, it is not worth even jumping it. It is dead, it is toast, it has sulfated the lead plates, the chances of the battery working correctly for any length of time is very low.

For the next person in this situation, don't even try to jump start the vehicle if the battery is totally dead and had been dead for weeks. Just install a new battery.

If you are determined to try to save the dead battery, take it out of the vehicle. With the battery removed from the vehicle, have it properly charged and then have a load test done. This will take a minimum of 24 hours in most cases. Almost 90% odds the battery will fail the load test and you will then still be buying a new battery.

Summary: Don't waste your time with even attempting a jump start with a battery that has been dead for weeks. A totally dead battery with a jump start is bad for the vehicle, especially the electronics.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Normally, i was driving it 5 days a week, but due to the pandemic i have been working from home since last March and really didn't need to drive it. I just replaced the battery last year as it was about 6 years old.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Cars should be driven 30 miles once a fortnight to keep everything ticking over nicely - and use the aircon too to stop the seals drying out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lesson learned moving forward,
At this point I am just trying to fix the issue of why it is stuck in neutral to get it to move. Then it’s off to a dealership to trade it in.
Is there a special trick to getting this piece to disconnect on the stepper motor?
I got the big one off no problem but I can’t seem to get this one off.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
969 Posts
Push the whole connector in, press down on the little tab, then pull back on the connector.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I rescanned my car with my OBDeleven and now it keeps saying the all wheel drive system is not responding. It says there are no faults at the top but when I click faults link (second one down from the top) I get this message. The car is on and running while I am scanning.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
969 Posts
Check your fuses. Make sure you connected all wires from when you disconnected the battery. Fuses should be in the right dash end panel

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I will check the fuses in a little bit. The only two cables i removed were the big main cables from the terminals. No other cables were removed.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
969 Posts
Fuses in the right dash end box are:

#7 - 5A
#40 - 10A
#57 - 40A

1 - 20 of 70 Posts