Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CRANKS but won't start. Typo in title! Oops

I Need Some HELP Guys!

About a month ago my T-Reg started acting up within about half hour of driving after filling up. Got home, parked, got back out and could not start the engine to save my life.

First thought, bad fuel. Not it. (read this paragraph if you want the details) I pulled the filter checked for water or dirt, none was found, replaced it anyway. Drained the tank, opened the driver side access under back seat and sucked it all out (went in jetta and she ran like a top). After draining both sides of the tank, I filled it back up with fresh fuel, added conditioner to remove water if there was any. Filled the fuel filter case, on/off the key like 10 times to circulate the fuel through the lines, drained the return from the filter into a can, reattached the return line and repeated the on/off. Tried to start after I was convinced no air in the lines. Cranked and cranked but no start.

Second thought, for whatever reason it does not get fuel. Not it (i Think). I have removed the EGR and shutoff valve housing from intake on driver side. Exposed the EGR exhaust line and the intake manifold. With both the egr and shutoff connected electrically. Tried to start after spraying a little quickstart. Engine tries to start but no go. HOWEVER lots of back smoke puffing out of the EGR feed line, which tells me that the engine is getting fuel, hence the puffs of dark black smoke. Correct?

VCDS findings.
No codes other then the stuff that i disconnected, once cleared no new codes come up.
Under Engine/Basic Blocks can't remember which group but while cranking it is not showing me and fuel is injected, should be something even when cranking NO?

I need some help, don't know where to go next. Any ideas and suggestions?

It's almost 3 weeks now I been fighting with it, I an not willing to throw in the towel but I am willing to admit I need help. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not the DPF either.

UPDATE:
Next item was DPF, figured a plugged DPF (completely plugged for whatever reason) would prevent the engine from starting ... so, I unbolted or cut the dpf from the catalist flanges and thus opening the exhaust up right after the cat. NO CHANGE.

VCDS Scan:
No security codes. Just the low voltage ones that poped up after all the cranking. The batteries were removed and fully charged and replaced. NO CHANGE.
Is there something in the VCDS that i can look at in particular that would indicate a security issue? May very well be something in that area.
(I don't have the scan here at work, but can post the complete scan log if it will help, as soon as i get home)

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Have you scanned all the modules with VCDS? Not just the ecu as there may be something else preventing it from starting.

VCDS has an area that will scan all the modules and do a complete scan.

Do that and report back any error codes that it finds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have done that full scan of all modules. I will do it again tonight and post the log.
Last scan however reported issues with the radio and the park sensors and a couple of other modules. Either way, you are right, I will do another scan and post my findings tonight.

·
Registered
372 Posts
if it is cranking, then it is not KESSY related, you have passed authorization to start engine once its cranking.
Dont know if you see your rpms go up to about 200-250 on the tacho needle as it is cranking? that would indicate a working Crank position sensor

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost two months since it quit, I am getting a little desperate.
Brain storming:
-Can the timing go on these machines seeing how there is no belt or chain.
-Can the cams go from perfect to completely gone in one hour (to the point where it won't start)
-Fuel pressure to nozzles? Is there a sensor (VCDS) or need a gauge for that?
If one pump (the one on the head) fails, can the engine start on 5 cylinders?
-If it's over 70F(20C) outside, the glow plugs are a non issue right?

I am seriously running out of ideas.

·
Official CT Ricer!
1,452 Posts
So sorry to read about your trobles. Did you see if you can take it to a local VW mechanic if not the dealership to see if they can diagnose the issue? If the VCDS does not point to anything, its kinda hard to offer any useful advice, especially since you seem to have exhausted standard troubleshooting already.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
986 Posts
Sounds like a battery or relay issue. If the batteries (both) are more than a few years old go to THE DEALER and replace both. Also look at replacing the relays related to the starter access. I don't remember off have where they are

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No i did not.
I took it to a mechanic who got it started, but refused to give me any details on how he did it or what was wrong.... For that he charged me 800 bucks.
It was the least time that truck saw a mechanic. I sold it shortly after.
Good luck bro.

·
Registered
372 Posts
She'll start or get sold in pieces :D I'm a persistent bastard, i'll find what is wrong...

Sorry you had to sell it, these are wonderful machines except for the lack of knowledge and being very rare.

I have 3 of them i should know better :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A couple of years later...
The Touareg is long gone and I can surprise surprise I can sleep well at night again.
In my travels I have ran accross some issues with the Hella or Garrett turbo actuators which appear to be similar to the one used in the Touareg which (as many users here can attest to) has been the cause of lots of turbo/boost related issues. To that end, I would like to add a quick note.
The weak-link in those units is not the electronics but rather the mechanical components 1) the internal plastic worm gear can be sheered very easily by bumping the actuator arm while doing other work in the vicinity. 3) the electric motors inside the actuators do have a high failure rate for some reason.
The good news, is that i did find someone in Toronto (Canada) that sells the motors for about 45$ or the entire gearbox with motor (brand new) for about 150$ which was in my case well worth it.
Just thought i would share this information as I remember it was so hard to find anything for this truck and as i recall NOTHING was 150$.
Just an FYI

·
Registered
2 Posts
well after I wrote this it sputtered to life and I HAVE NO IDEA what so ever what it was! I checked the piping as per ELSA, i used VCDS to prime the fuel. i traced the fuel in and out of the filter to the pump. and NOTHING!

then miraculously it started spluttering and then just started. albiet with a misfire on cylinder one.

which come to think of it. back at the dealership the no start diagnosis on the PD engines like this was to disconnect each injector in line till it started then deal with that injector. Hmmmmm.......

initially the fault was turns over but would show no signs of even wanting to start.

will keep you guys updated

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.