Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a used Touareg, car drives really nice but notice when coming to a stop or slow down at a light or whatever, the car jerks as if the brakes were pressed. So Im told it a transmission issue. the car shifts just fine but it seams as if when down shifting to a stop the tranny makes that clunk noise. Do you think it could be low on oil and needs to be drained put in new oil? any suggestions will help i don't want to spend money on a whole new transmission

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Not very many transmission issues where one needs a new transmission, but most common transmission issue is the valve body (as mentioned above).

Other things to look for are engine mounts, and if you are in drive or "sport." Sport mode doesn't do much but make the drive less pleasant and might do what you are talking about.

Lastly, try a transmission shift point reset. Might clear you up also and costs nothing. Procedure I think is turn truck to auxiliary (don't start, floor the gas all the way down, hold in this position for (I forget 10 seconds or something), then turn ignition off and remove key (still floored). It has been a while so if I am wrong someone please correct me.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Turn the ignition on but do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for 10 seconds.

Release the pedal.

Turn the ignition off and remove the key.

The autobox will now learn how you drive the car.

All owners should do this regularly if others drive their car.

Do, please, take time to read and thoroughly digest this thread ASAP. You will learn a lot about your car and know what else can go wrong with them.

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums

·
Registered
682 Posts
That thud noise, is the valve body sending over pressure oil, slamming it in 3 or 4 gear. Eventually blowing seal.

Changing oil never helped me. And I always change it. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The valve chest issue normally manifests itself with a slightly delayed change down from 5th to 4th on a light trailing throttle when in D at about 40 mph as the car starts to go up a slight rise. The THUMP you get is BIG - enough to make you think the gearbox just fell out of the car!

It's caused by wear in the valve bodies causing the valve to stick momentarily resulting in a mismatched gear change.

You can usually drive around it by using Tiptronic instead of D.

Try the gearbox reset first and let us know if things improve.

And do read the link I posted above!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts