Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have an issue with my 05 Touareg that hopefully someone has an answer to. When my Treg shifts from 4-5, within a second it pulls to the left briefly, like a short jerk to the left. I don't find it to be unsafe but it worries me there is something wrong. Could it be transfercase or stepper motor related?
Wonder if others have had a similar issue?

Thanks,
Hans

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You have 4 identical tires as in same make, same model, same size, same tread pattern, same tread depth?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question noob, tires are all the same bought at the same time (275/45R20 REINF YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC-X), the only difference could be a slight difference in tread depth/wear.
The thing is I notice the same behaviour when I run my Pirelli Scorpion winter tires. So I would rule out tires.
This not something new and have been noticing the issue for a few years now.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I suspect some combination of an alignment and perhaps tire firmness. When you accelerate and the truck shifts into 5th you have probably reached the speed you want. When you lift off the throttle a little your center of mass shifts and I bet with an alignment that is off a little combined with softer tires you feel this shift abruptly.
I have two Touaregs one runs "passenger tires" that are XL rated and the other runs LT tires. The LT tires are exponentially firmer than the XL tires. During certain situations I will get a pull in the truck with the XL tires due to the center of mass shifting (feels squirrely) the LT tires are always rock solid. The suspension on these trucks (at least steel) is pretty stiff, so in my opinion the XL tires result in an unstable feeling due to their gummy tendency underneath a firm suspension.
Do you have air? If so I wonder if it would do it in the different settings the same.
I should add that my Touareg with the LT tires has never (yes never) had an alignment and the truck drives true and straight and tire wear is excellent. I also run this truck over curbs, rocks, and offroad... the other truck...not so much and I almost never drive it (we just tow with it)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Okay, tires are fine.

I had a curious and not totally dissimilar thing on a 7 series Beemer many years ago.

It turned out to be worn suspension bushes at the rear end so there would be a very, very brief but noticeable self steer movement of the rear axle under certain circumstances.

New bushes and the car felt totally planted once more [and actually it was one car I wish I had never sold!].

Might be worth getting your car up on a lift and giving all the bushes a thorough check with a pry bar for wear.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Air and have played with the settings and no difference.
I think nooby may be on to something and with the mileage I have (120k miles) some or all bushes needs to be replaced. I will have this checked.
Appreciate your replies gents!

Now posting another problem I have re: "water in drivers footwell"......

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Replied to that new thread!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have Air and have played with the settings and no difference.
I think nooby may be on to something and with the mileage I have (120k miles) some or all bushes needs to be replaced. I will have this checked.
Appreciate your replies gents!

Now posting another problem I have re: "water in drivers footwell"......
Make sure your evaporator drain is not clogged

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure your evaporator drain is not clogged

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Any info where the evaporator drain is located?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
@hans: He's talking about the aircon condensate drain just in case you aren't completely in the picture on this one. It is a known source of water under the mat if it gets blocked or kinked or mis-directed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dpkhym and Nooby I checked that drain and the carpets on the passenger side and no leak and all completely dry. Thanks for the heads up, something to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like an under inflated rear tire with a screw stuck in it may be culprit here. Sure hope so.
Going to get that fixed today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts