Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I´ve changed ATF a couple of times on my 04 V8. This time I tried to do it using a method I´ve used on some other cars. It´s explained in the forum aswell, but for another year and gearboxmodel.
That is, dismount ATF-lines at cooler thermostat and attach hoses. One hose to a canister for the used ATF that comes out, the other hose routed upwards with a funnel attached to fill new ATF through..

I was set up and ready to go, started the engine and oil was pumping out alright.
But it wouldn´t take any oil in the return line.
Suspected an airlock so I removed the fillerplug on the sump.
No difference.
It seems that the returnline is totally blocked. I even tried to set some pressure to the oil into the returnline, but it´s an absolute stop.

Could this be normal? Has anyone tried this method with the 09D-trans?

Googled alot but can´t find any really specific info about this.

I also have a whining noise from the gearbox that sounds like the gearpump. But I´m not sure. This is why I´m interested in whether it´s normal that the returnline seems blocked or if I have something going on with that.
Noise is worst cold. It´s related to engine rev and is heard in all gearpositions. At cold start the noise comes after 5 sec or so. Like if its due to pressure built up, or perhaps starving for oil.
Noise came up some months ago and hasn´t changed in character since then.
The gearbox shifts as it should.

Would be nice to have your expert-input to this.

BR

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
hi,
interesting, but same time im wondering why are people trying reinventing the wheel...
the procedure of ATF change is already very very simple, and its been discussed im many threads.
so how did you end up changing the oil?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See what you mean Nikoloz, point taken.
Just me trying something out of the box.
I see no problem changing oil the ordinary way either. Done it a couple of times already.

But having that noise from the gearbox I got curious. If the return from the cooler was blocked someway, and thus giving the gearpump a hard time.
Haven't been able to find any specific info about the oilflow through the cooler and how it's managed.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
There are few pdfs you can find online about 09D AT and Maybe there is the answer you need, the only thing I can advance you is to change the thermostat while changing the ATF :) kind regards :) Nikoloz

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure I know what you mean by filling through the other line.
With the engine running I can't see how that would be possible.
But if you mean if I tried just for sakes, I didn't.

As mentioned earlier the question now is if the return line is supposed to appear as blocked.
I would really want to know because of the noiseissue I've got.
Perhaps there is a valve that controls the flow.?If so, is it faulty or is the "thing" that controls it faulty?
Could any of the solenoidcontrolled valves have influense on the returnflow?
Hope you know what I mean.
The car drives and shifts normal. It's just the annoying noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.