Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
What are the dimensions of the hold down plate you made? Have the new cams been installed? After the cams are installed is there any valve/timing adjustments that need to be made?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quick update guys, I found a company in the UK - Lymm Engine Components - that sells a complete cam kit with bolts, cam followers, bearings and lube for $1200 shipped to the US - for BOTH cams! Amazing deal - the cams are GT cams out of the UK, bearings are Glycol and the followers are nitrided from INA - not sure about the bolts. They have a great reputation and are very friendly/knowledgeable about this issue - esp since there are more TDIs in Europe than here. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quick update guys, I found a company in the UK - Lymm Engine Components - that sells a complete cam kit with bolts, cam followers, bearings and lube for $1200 shipped to the US - for BOTH cams! Amazing deal - the cams are GT cams out of the UK, bearings are Glycol and the followers are nitrided from INA - not sure about the bolts. They have a great reputation and are very friendly/knowledgeable about this issue - esp since there are more TDIs in Europe than here. Hope this helps!
Is there a website? Also what denomination is that price?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts

Vaughan
First thing you do is get an oil sample done by some like this (Techenomics International)
Review that then we can talk cams as you may not need them if you are lucky.
The performance gains from cams in a diesel is not like a petrol car what these cams do is
- last longer than std
- offer a smother idle
- Prepare the engine for a tune

Yes what Penrite have recommended is the correct VW spec oil for a T1 V10.
Problem is that 0W30 only has 890ppm of ZDDP.
A flat tappet engine needs at least 1400ppm min but with a PD engine already with vulnerable cams I use the race 2200ppm oil ZERO SHEAR.

Problem is zinc can affect your oxygen sensor and cat convertor over time depending on how much oil you burn.

I don't have cat convertors any more so hey no issue. and I can get at the oxygen sensors to replace if I need to.

regards
Drag
Hey Drag just wondering you stated that you no longer have cats, did you notice a increase in performance,noise,soot, i have deleted the secondary cats and i am thinking of deleting the primary cats as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What grind is on those camshafts?
Also, you should check out the video I have on the black nitrided lifters.....

I just installed a set of Colt Cams V10 camshafts into my 04. Having an issue getting the injectors to fire atm. But it is possible to do them without pulling the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not seeing this listing for these parts anymore. Was this 2 SKUs put together for that price? All I see them offering is the VW Volkswagen Touareg 5.0 V10 TDI 2 x Camshafts (camshafts only) £649.99 and VW Volkswagen Transporter & Touareg 2.5 TDi PD Camshaft Kit £336.00 . This kit only has 1 camshaft but includes lifters, bearings and bolts. Do two of these 2.5s, forgive my ignorance, make the 5.0 needed for the v10? One for each side?

@ Cjensan: I'm sure you've gotten everything put back together by now but please understand how valuable this information you have provided is! As far as I can see, it's the only information on the web for replacing these cams. Most of us DIYers don't have the tech or experience to drop the meat out of the v10 required for so many repairs and your workaround makes garage tinkering possible. Any more pics or possibla a video to share? Thank you so much for what you have provided!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

I have searched high and low for trying to find if one can replace the camshafts on the V10 Touareg without pulling the engine.

The answer is yes you can!
You do have to pull the tandem pump fully out (easier to undo the fuel lines off the common rail than the pump). And then undo the oil supply lines which feed the turbochargers. Once this is done you can remove the 36mm nut which holds the gear that drives the camshafts. You then need to pull the pin out of that gear. The pin has a threaded hole (M8x1.25) in the end. Thread in a bolt and wiggle in and out and the pin pulls out. Once out the support arm can come off the bronze bushing that prevents the camshaft from coming out.

These cams were replaced with new and have less than 20k miles on them. The lifters were also replaced. All the lifters already show signs of damage, and every exhaust lobe has wear on the nose and ramp.
Since replacement of these parts, the vehicle has only run LiquiMoly.
I will be taking these to Colt Cams and having a stage 2 grind put on them. I will also be running an additive with every oil change. The additive is PowerUp EngineMaxx PDS.

While I am doing these mods I am doing to eliminate the EGR system and do a different crankcase breather system to help keep things a little cleaner under the hood.
anyone in dallas, tx area that will do it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Bitopower,
I just finished another install on an 06 V10. This time we did stage 3 cam grind with a slightly more aggressive injector profile.
While we were at it I rebuilt the turbos (no need to pull engine to remove). Modified the hot side with a Vband and dabbed up a dual 2.5” straight pipe the entire way. Vehicle is still really quiet with the straight pipe due to the lack of a wastegate.

I’ve got it back up and running and it runs really nice with no loss of bottom end on the stage 3 grind.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Blownvette,
I am the test mule to verify that all was 100% good with clearances etc. I am waiting for a call back from colt to confirm to him that they are all good! I find that the stage 3 is smoother through the range too. You’ll be happy you waited.

·
Registered
420 Posts
following....

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
709 Posts
Oh! I’ve been sitting on my pair of cams I received in the middle of November. Was your set made before that?

Bosio PowerPlus 1043 are the nozzles I was going to use... (I do have a pair of turbos off and Audi v12tdi that will be part of the final install) what tips did you end up going with?

Art

·
Registered
420 Posts
what nozzles do the 7L's come standard with?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Art,
I spoke with Colt today and he said your cams were ground at the same time as mine. You will be very happy with them.

Im not sure what the stock nozzle size is. But I am also planning on changing the turbo setup on mine to a compound setup and increase boost pressure to 35-40psi in the future. So larger nozzles are going to help there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Art,
I just looked up the V12 TDI turbos. They’re still fairly small. You might consider the GT2260 turbos instead. Also converting them to the vacuum pod and driving them with the EGR solenoids might be a better option.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
709 Posts
The turbos I have are a GTB2260VK. With electronic actuators. I’m not sure if these actuators although physically are the same size as the V 10 actuators will work? There is a slight difference in the clocking of them. Is there a difference in the size of the turbo that you were mentioning? I tried to attach a picture but I can’t figure it out

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Those are good turbos and should support 35 psi roughly.

Are you installing this in a different vehicle or leaving it in a Touareg?

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
709 Posts
Those turbos are going into my Corvette with the V10tdi . Everything is on the test stand running now so it will be installed with the stock turbos then we will pull the engine and mount the V12 TDI turbo‘s.

Im happy with the Touaregs the way they are but will install one of the colt cams stages when I get around to it in the Touaregs. More of a maintenance thing than performance. 6000lbs is a bit much to try and get to move much faster than it is now!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
14 Participants
dpolson
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing