Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud owner of a 2004 V10 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Recently purchased. Already read this forum pretty much start-to-end before finalizing.

As the car was shipped, its front battery died by the time it got here. Recharged battery, cleared fault codes (at dealership) including air suspension fault and engine (turbo control and ECU faults). Next day, however faults returned (except engine--no more engine faults).

Battery -- reads 12.5 (or slightly less) before starting after 12 hour rest. And slightly under 14 when started and electric systems under load. Front battery, manufactured 2nd quarter 2010 had a black "magic eye" before charging.

Visible/ audible faults. 1. Air suspension misbehaves: car higher in the back than front, after re-start often (but not always) gives "running gear fault". At first diagnostic detected faulty front left level sensor, but it did not recur after clearing and charging battery (that day). Now car much lower front left and also automatic headlight level doesn't work.
Also buzzing sound coming from under left instrument panel when car is switched off (slightly louder if mutli-function display is on but not connected to it, because sound is constant even hours after display switches off).

VAG-COMM faults (this is the factory diagnostic system, I could not get printouts but took some pictures) that still persist after battery charging.
1. Ride Control System 7L6907553B
2. Kessy (Access and start) 3D0909135L
00668 supply voltage terminal 30
3. Seat Adjustment driver side (although seat does adjust fine) 7L6959257
4. Central Module comfort system 7L0959933E
00927 Terminal 30 right
011 Open circuit
01516 Terminal 30 left
5. Dashboard (instrument cluster) 7L692088ON
6. Air-conditioning (seems to work fine despite faults) 7L6907040D
7. Auxiliary parking heater 7L6815071B
8. Wiper control unit (also seems to work fine) 7L0955119F
9. Central electronics 7L6937049L
10. Gateway 6N0909901

I'll take the car back for a new battery and to clear codes but afraid something else, possibly relays might have gone off or lose connections. At home I have a cheap vag cable which works with VCDS-Lite (unregistered as yet); it does not show all the modules (for example, not ride control system); I have reset other codes but they seem to reappear despite the fact that battery has not dipped below 12V (and none of the enigne related codes which initially came have reappeared).

I'm afraid the dealer did not lock suspension before raising on jack (seemed to know when I told him but when returned, said he'd pressed the button once but did not see any sign on the display--did not hold down button). After clearing fault codes (I was present) with charged battery (I was there), tested suspension, it was working. Then I left for him to change brake pads, collected car in the evening, tested suspension next day and it was wonky and started showing running gear fault sign.
Also he did not follow the sequence for battery removal when he charged (on a pervious day)--removed battery under driver seat without disconnecting battery in the boot/ trunk. I'm not sure if this can cause problems too.

Will gladly appreciate advice before I take his advice to replace battery.

PS: there are a few touaregs in this city but no V10s.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
04 V10 Addis Ababa - Into and help with electric faultsr

Proud owner of a 2004 V10 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Recently purchased. Already read this forum pretty much start-to-end before finalizing.

As the car was shipped, its front battery died by the time it got here. Recharged battery, cleared fault codes (at dealership) including air suspension fault and engine (turbo control and ECU faults). Next day, however faults returned (except engine--no more engine faults).

Battery -- reads 12.5 (or slightly less) before starting after 12 hour rest. And slightly under 14 when started and electric systems under load. Front battery, manufactured 2nd quarter 2010 had a black "magic eye" before charging.

Visible/ audible faults. 1. Air suspension misbehaves: car higher in the back than front, after re-start often (but not always) gives "running gear fault". At first diagnostic detected faulty front left level sensor, but it did not recur after clearing and charging battery (that day). Now car much lower front left and also automatic headlight level doesn't work.
Also buzzing sound coming from under left instrument panel when car is switched off (slightly louder if mutli-function display is on but not connected to it, because sound is constant even hours after display switches off).

VAG-COMM faults (this is the factory diagnostic system, I could not get printouts but took some pictures) that still persist after battery charging.
1. Ride Control System 7L6907553B
2. Kessy (Access and start) 3D0909135L
00668 supply voltage terminal 30
3. Seat Adjustment driver side (although seat does adjust fine) 7L6959257
4. Central Module comfort system 7L0959933E
00927 Terminal 30 right
011 Open circuit
01516 Terminal 30 left
5. Dashboard (instrument cluster) 7L692088ON
6. Air-conditioning (seems to work fine despite faults) 7L6907040D
7. Auxiliary parking heater 7L6815071B
8. Wiper control unit (also seems to work fine) 7L0955119F
9. Central electronics 7L6937049L
10. Gateway 6N0909901

I'll take the car back for a new battery and to clear codes but afraid something else, possibly relays might have gone off or lose connections. At home I have a cheap vag cable which works with VCDS-Lite (unregistered as yet); it does not show all the modules (for example, not ride control system); I have reset other codes but they seem to reappear despite the fact that battery has not dipped below 12V (and none of the enigne related codes which initially came have reappeared).

I'm afraid the dealer did not lock suspension before raising on jack (seemed to know when I told him but when returned, said he'd pressed the button once but did not see any sign on the display--did not hold down button). After clearing fault codes (I was present) with charged battery (I was there), tested suspension, it was working. Then I left for him to change brake pads, collected car in the evening, tested suspension next day and it was wonky and started showing running gear fault sign.
Also he did not follow the sequence for battery removal when he charged (on a pervious day)--removed battery under driver seat without disconnecting battery in the boot/ trunk. I'm not sure if this can cause problems too.

Will gladly appreciate advice before I take his advice to replace battery.

PS: there are a few touaregs in this city but no V10s.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
As it has been sitting for a while during shipping it may take a while for the battery to recover. However at 5 years it may be safer just to replace it. It's most likely the codes will go when the battery is working properly. These vehicle are very sensitive to low voltage levels. For me it would be a new one for peace of mind if nothing else.

Welcome to the Forum. Please post some photos of the Trg.

Stuart...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'd replace both batteries.

Also the ATF fluid in the gearbox, the transfer box oil and the front and rear diff oil.

Change the brake fluid too.

Also, unless you know for certain the engine has EXACTLY the correct oil, that needs changing too asap to avoid premature camshaft lobe wear. I suggest you research this issue straightaway. Even dealers put the wrong oil in and I suspect your dealer won't have a clue about it and may even need to import the oil.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice both. Relieved to know the faults will (hopefully) go away, esp. worried about air suspension. Will update. Pictures, soon... haven't driven it much lately.
Indeed was going to get both diffs and transfer case oil changed. Good point about engine oil too: will check with local Total stations, they must carry the right oil. Transfer and diff oil and dot 4 brake oils are available (I trust Total, they have a good network here), not sure about transmission oil. And yes, brake and steering oil look good to replace: much appreciate your reminder. Already stocked up on oil, fuel and air filters (thanks to Amazon); VW recommends change interval at 7,500km due to high sulphur in diesel.
About transmission oil, I've not found a method to change all of it yet (someone posted about draining from pipes with engine running, but feel that's not feasible). Will check with dealership if they have the right equipment. I'll appreciate a link if someone's posted a relatively fool-proof method (I'm not much good DIY'ing sophisticated machines--only a Series III Landrover)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I really do doubt any service station will carry the EXACT correct oil for the V10.

You need VW approved 505.01 [for time/distance service intervals] or 506.01 [for long life service regime].

Most seem to settle for 506.01 even when on the time/distance service regime.

If it doesn't have those EXACT numbers on the bottle do NOT buy it.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/vw-oil-spec-explained-79005.html#post368793

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery replacement tomorrow.
So I checked around, possibly Caltec might have oils but need to find their distributor. But there's a Liqui Moly agency, they did not carry 506.01 Synthoil Longtime Plus (can order) but had TopTec 4100 which is approved for 505.01. However, looking through their literature, we discovered it said "approved for VW 505.01 except R5 and 5.0 TDI V10 engines." This is the brochure with the dealer.
I look online here Volkswagen Oil Standard 505.01 Approved Oils | my-gti.com and here https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000322/3700-TopTec41005W-40-12.0-en.pdf but there's no mention of the exception. Any experience?
The dealers will be able to get 506.01 in about a month or so, but for the meantime I want to know if this is safe.
Also for brake oil, I understand both DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 can be used. But which one? I understand newer cars using DOT 5.1 should not use DOT 4. But for 2004 Touareg, DOT 4 is OK?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
For a V10 with DPF (and that is probably NOT the case for your 2004 especially since yours is probably European) 506.01 MUST be used or there is high probability of the DPF malfunctioning.
505.01 - I use LiquiMoly full synthetic - is the preferred lube oil especially since there is a design weakness in the camshafts. The 505.01 product has been shown to do a better job of preventing camshaft wear. It is therefore the preferred lube oil.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
For a V10 with DPF (and that is probably NOT the case for your 2004 especially since yours is probably European) 506.01 MUST be used or there is high probability of the DPF .
I'm pretty sure it's 507.00 for later V10s with a DPF.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to you all. I was looking for oils for 2004 V10 (without DPF). I'll be driving with high sulfur Diesel, will be changing oil at max 7,500km, I was leaning towards 505.01 (more easily available).
1. Owner's manual says 506.01 for long life service and 506.00 for vehicles without long life service.
2. I found Liqui Moly TopTech 1100 (505.01) but the technical brochure with LM dealer clearly says, in standards "VW 505.01 (except T5 and V10 enignes)."
3. I contacted Liqui Moly and their technical people said for V10 any oil less than 506.00 or 506.01 will cause cam wear.
They also said if I must use 505.01 (because of limited avilibility of 506.01) I ought to use LM's MoS2 additive and change at 5,000km max.

But on the forum I see many people reccomending 505.01 and someone even posted a picture of their owner's manual which says non long life can use 505.01. Is this a european vs north american spec difference? More seriously do I run any specific risk with 505.01? Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took a long time to get new batteries. Today dealer replaced them (both) but called to say there are many "static" faults which are not going away.
Note: in the past, faults appeared if battery voltage dropped but after a charge, faults cleared and did not reappear until voltage drops.
Tomorrow going to the dealer, will get fault codes and post. But in the meantime, any suggestions what might cause this? how to solve the problem.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I really do doubt any service station will carry the EXACT correct oil for the V10.

You need VW approved 505.01 [for time/distance service intervals] or 506.01 [for long life service regime].
[/URL]
For a Non DPF-V10 using a 5w40 oil is more important than a 505.01 oil. 5w30 will accelerate camshaft wear.

I personally use Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck in our 04 V10.

-J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts