Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle: 2004 Touareg V8
Recent Maintenance: New plugs, fuel pumps, Fuel filter, and timing belt service all within the last few thousand miles

Before anything else, a big thanks to spockcat for the TSB files found here: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f73/tsb-pdf-files-12140.html

I know for the VR6 the software update addressed some of the misfire and cat efficiency codes. I wasnt sure if the V8 updates were as significant or worthwhile.

Every once in a while it my 2004 will throw a code for "catalyst efficiency below threshold" and the idle will act up as soon as the CEL is illuminated. Clear the code and the car resumes idling pretty decently. It still has an occasional stumble while idling, especially with the AC on, though nothing code related ever comes up, just more annoying than anything else.

From my understanding 0050 seems to be the latest software revision, and claims to have addressed some issues with rough idling. Based on my recent VagCom scan i believe i have an earlier version 0020 (pic below).

Anyone recommend doing the update, or recommend against it? I would like to add the OEM trailer hitch setup to my touareg at some point, and understand that requires an ECM update as well, which would likely include all the updates offered in the standard 0050 revision. So I am trying to decide if its worth it to rush into getting the hitch parts collected and installed to get the reflash done, or if there are no real noticeable improvements from the update, so no rush in getting in preformed.

Also is VW the only means of doing this? Is it possible as a DIY (For example in the B5S4 world we use free ECU flashing software like Nefmoto all the time for swapping ECU base and tuned files, anything similar for the T1?) If not, whats should I expect something like this to set me back (assuming its worth doing)?

Is it possible to preform the Towing ECM reflash BEFORE I get around to installing the OEM hitch components without any negative side effects??

Thanks all!!!

Pic for Clicks:

·
Registered
196 Posts
From that screen select the "Advanced ID" button. That will show you the software version, and how many flash attempts have been made against the computer.

-J

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have first hand experience on before and after the software update? Noticeable changes? Worth it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bump this post !!

I'm also on 0020 and always noticed my idle to be a little shaky. Not consistent but still.
I was always thinking of maybe a small air intake leak or vacuum leak but it may just be this.
Trying to see if I can upgrade with VCDS without spending the money at the dealer?? Someone has the file and a procedure?

Rich.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts